Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg ATR  ???  Anybody? >

Mossberg ATR ??? Anybody?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg ATR ??? Anybody?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg ATR ??? Anybody?

Thanks for all input so far.
I did a search for ATR firing pin problems and got this first hit. For what it's worth

http://everythinghunting-sean.blogspot.com/2008/01/love-it-or-leave-it_22.html
Old 11-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Spike

I have fired about 3-1/2 boxes thru my .308 so far and no problems yet. The gun is super accurate. I bought the Mossberg over other "budget" rifles because I personally wanted a wood stock because I think most plastic stocks look cheap and feel low quality.After some research I found the 100ATR has wood stocks on the short action .243/.308 models so I bought a .308 at wal-mart for $315. Overall I love the gun and even at $315 it is almost too nice looking, dare I say pretty, to go out and beat thru the woods. If I wanted a beater rifle I would have no reservations to get another ATR in the camo stock.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned

Junk. My buddy paid the price and just had to have one. Well, out of the box he opened the bolt and the safety fell off. At least they sent him the ups call tag.

Dont let the "shoots a one inch group" fool you. Just about any rifle out there can do it today, except Ruger. They couldnt get a one inch group out of their guns if you taped the target to the end of the barrel.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

After doing quite a bit of searching and visiting other sites when the "ATR" search yeilded a hit, I've found that the majority of the complaints about the firing pin and other issues were from about 2 years ago. I don't know if Mossberg has taken the corrective steps to eliminate the problems, but it seems like there haven't been as many (or any?) of the complaints in the last 18 months or so.

The guy I know that bought one just a few weeks ago paid $269.00 plus tax .... he added a sling and a few boxes of shells and had it printing well prety quick.

I thought it shouldered well, was balanced ... but time will tell if it will hold up to regular use.

I'll keep updating here if there are any issues.

Mossberg wouldn't be the first complany to produce a bargain rifle with problems and then correct it as it goes along.

Btw, the trigger on the thing felt pretty good for an out of the box factory trigger. Nothing super-duper, but not creep, not gritty or sticky in the least, and it broke pretty clean .. but felt like it was around 4.5 lbs... I think it is adjustable but don't actually know.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:10 AM

If I was Mossberg, I would have someone posting all over the Internet about the status of the problem and what we were doing to address it. I'm sure they could even go as far as sending letters to the thousands of people who purchased the guns to tell them what they were doing or what to do if they have a problem. I would make sure customer service was set up to quickly and easily fix any problems to responsibly make sure customers were satisfied.

I tried getting through to Mossberg management to talk to them about the status of the issue but it was litterally impossible to get anyone outside of customer service on the phone. I spent many hours trying and left several messages, never receiving any responses of any sort.

So I wouldn't just assume they've taken care of the problem because your research didn't turn up any recent cases. Because after dealing with them, I wouldn't put anything past this company. I spoke to three different customer service employees and each one, on three different days, told me the part had shipped two weeks ago when it actually had not. One was even the manager of customer service, Javier.

By the way, I finally got my bolt back yesterday with a new firing pin. Oh ya, deer season in MO ended yesterday!

Thanks for this place, I feel much better now...but too bad Mossberg didn't come through because I really like this gun.

Need pups?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Spike

Yeah that really is too bad. I emailed customer service one time last year with a question about their plinkster .22's. About a month later and no reply from Mossberg, I went out and bought a Marlin .22. I know having been in the automotive business that a bad batch of parts could happen and did happen quite often. QC could narrow it down to a certain date range. Hopefully this is the case with the firing pin. Maybe a bad batch in the maching process or the specs got off and went un-noticed?? I know there are a ton of the ATR's out there and there hasn't been any consitant problems seem to turn up like they have with other guns.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Buy a Ruger M77 Hawkeye next time. Beautiful looking and well built, very nice bluing job or get the stainless and really don't worry about rust. Lighten the trigger pull to a crisp 3 lbs and you are set.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

I also have one in .270. A great rifle with great accuracy and can handle a lot of abuse... I've put mine through hell. I've taken deer over 200 yards with it, with great results. Nothing to complain about other than the bolt. It has some play and it isn't all that crisp, and it has rust that just won't come off. I opened the gun out of the case and noticed it right off the bat. I'm not stressing it though.

Notice the rust... closer to the firing pin.

Just curious why you didn't try to get the bolt replaced? That is very wierd for it to be rusted like that, especially if it won't co me off.