Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Picked up a rifle rest at Bass Pro yesterday... >

Picked up a rifle rest at Bass Pro yesterday...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Picked up a rifle rest at Bass Pro yesterday...

Old 10-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Picked up a rifle rest at Bass Pro yesterday...

Hey there...

Yesterday, I stopped at the new Bass Pro Shop that they opened up, north of Richmond, VA along I-95. One word: Whoa...I lost my flippin' mind in there! [8D]

Anyway, I found their bench rests, rifle rests, skeet shooting thrower machines, etc...etc... and after talking to a guy, I decided to pick one up. I'm not a competition shooter, but wanted a lightweight, portable, table top rifle rest for use at the WMA outdoor ranges.

I settled on this one. It was only $44 bucks at Bass Pro Shop.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_81918____SearchResults

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/rifle_rest.html

It was simple to put together. I just have to get some sandbags or weights or something to fill the inside with. I thought it was a pretty good deal, so I grabbed it. What the heck, you know?

I went out to the local WMA rifle range afterwards with a box of Federal American Eagle .308 rounds to try it out. Even with the .308'srecoil, the plastic rifle rest jumped around on the bench. But the best thing is the rear strap on the back to reduce the recoil (heck, you practically don't even need to hold the rifle!). Anyway, I did end up holding the front stock secure as best I could, and not even using my shoulder against it, but reaching up with my index ringer to pull the trigger. I probably looked and was) awkward, but with my weight against the rifle and the rest, it worked out pretty good.

Long story short.... With me centering the .308 in the bullseye each time, and using my body weight to hold the Savage .308 and the plastic MTM rest secure, I was able to get the most incredible groups at 100 yards. Now if I could just shoot like that without a bench, when a big 8 pointer comes strolling out of the brush! [8D]

Anyone else have a rifle rest like this one?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Picked up a rifle rest at Bass Pro yesterday...

WTG Butch!........Enjoy!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good find. Should serve the intended purpose nicely. Congrats.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... I'll say this - using a solid bench rest is incredible, compared to using a sand bag or a folded up towel on top of a rifle case, or worse, just hand-holding the rifle propped up on your elbows.

I got my .308 all set to shoot 1/2" high at 100 yards, and, looking at the results of that 100 yard NRA target I used, I obliterated the upper 10 ring and part of the bullseye. I wouldn't be able to do that by just holding the rifle, that's for sure.