Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Picked up the Howa yesterday! >

Picked up the Howa yesterday!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Picked up the Howa yesterday!

Old 03-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Picked up the Howa yesterday!

I went up to PA yesterday and picked up my Howa that was ordered. I got the 6.5x55mm. I probably won't be able to get out and shoot until next weekend, so I'll let everyone know then how it does. I bought some Winchester factory loads in 140gr to try, but I have the dies on order, and I plan on loading the 125gr Partitions, and the 120gr Sierra Prohunters.
Apparantly, they mistakenly sent the gun/scope combo, so I wound up with a free scope, bases and rings. It is a Nikko Stirling Gold Crown, 3-9X42AO. I haven't been able to find out much about them. Has anyone had any experiences with that brand? I already had a Bushnell Trophy for the rifle, so I'll probably sell the Nikko at some point.
I'm pretty pleased with the gun, although the synthetic stock is a bit cheaper than I first thought. I kinda wish that I had gone with the wood, but I guess that I can always swap that out later. Overall, pretty nice gun, and I'm chomping at the bit to load it up!
Charlie
Old 03-23-2004, 07:58 PM

Default RE: Picked up the Howa yesterday!

I wouldn't wait. I'd swap out that scope before I ever hit the range. If you don't, and the rifle doesn't shoot to your expectations, the first thing I'd suspect is the scope. It may be a decent scope, but I'd never go to the range with a new rifle and a scope that doesn't have a history. You want your first range experience with your new toy to be a positive one. And believe me, I think you'll be more than happy with it. I especially like your choice of calibers. Low recoil and a dynomite deer size game cartridge.

If you decide to give the Nikko a try, "box" it right off the bat to see how it does. If it makes it thru that with flying colors, and returns back to zero where it should, then you may have a winner there. Boxing a scope is the only way I know to truly test a scope.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:36 AM

Default RE: Picked up the Howa yesterday!

A friend of mine bought one in .243 for his son. The scope does well and the rifle shoots very well. I believe the scope is only found on this brand of rifle because I haven't found one to buy separate....I was looking for the scope for the .243 that my kids shoot.