Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 guns, gear,help! >

guns, gear,help!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

guns, gear,help!

Old 10-04-2008, 11:51 PM

Default guns, gear,help!

hey guys, my names jordan im 16i live in ayden NC and am wanting to get into many kinds of hunting ive got a good friend with two deer stands across the field in the country. id like to get into deer,dove,and quail hunting. whats the main gear i would need , cloths, calls, guns, ect. any help appreciated.. be as specific as possible, im new and dumb.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: guns, gear,help!

jordan you may be young and new but not dumb. just learning.

I am mainly an black powder guy.
needed, in my mind
extra loads (bullets, arrows, black powder charges)
food and water or other liquids
some type of locater or communication (cell phone, two ways, or mirror)
let someone know where you are.
multiple layer of clothing (add or remove as temp. changes)
rope (to drag, pull stuff up to the stand (never carry things while claiming an ladder, that is good over all advice))
backpack and/or fannypack to hold it all

that is all I can think about

welcome to the forum
Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 AM

Well its nice to see your trying to do it right from the start. IM going to try this with a 16 year olds budget in mind.

Clothes: You dont NEED the best camo you can get. I go out and spend $30 on pants and $10-$15 on a shirt. You honestly dont NEED camo at all. Ive killed many deer without it. Juts find something that kinda blends in. And be sure to have plenty of clothes to keep you warm.

Guns: Your best be for a gun would be a good combo shotgun from Mossberg or Remington. You can get one for around $250-$300. It comes with a smooth bore barrel for Dove and Quail, and a rifled barrel to shoot slugs for Deer.

Main Gear: IM just going to make a list for this one:
20' rope (pull stuff into treestand)
Good Knife (Kinda obvious)
Communicators (cell phone, 2 way radios, we have found texting in the woods works well)
Some kind of bag to carry everything.

Dont worry about calls for now. I have them and barely use them. Some good sents for deer always helps though. I use Tinks 69. Its about $10 a bottle but ive used the same bottle for 3 years.

I feel like im missingsomething. If i remember anything else ill post it on here and im sure someone else will add more to the list.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:07 AM

ok, now for some extra questions, i went and looked for the mossberg combo gun and found a mossberg 500 12gauge feild/deer combo,online for $299,(a gun is one of the things i dont mind waitin to save up money to get a good one.) is that one a good gun? btw if any one reads this and lives in NC help with spots and clubs would be great.sry, my dad will fish with me but he dont like hunting. (what would a deer slug be?) the two deerstands my friend has is one in a little bit area of cleaned out woods and a huge field with the other, the one in the woods he just uses a shotgun, what guage shotgun would be good for me im sturdy im 16 5'11 195 , and if u didnt read the first post id like to hunt deer,quail,dove. and maybe some duck with my friends dad.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Jordan,
Retaks advice is "spot-on". The main item you need right now it a firearm and the Mossberg you asked about it a great starter gun. Good value for the money. As Retaks says...you don't need the camo right now. Heck, if you just have to have it go to a yard sale around a military base and pick up some BDU's (battle dress uniform) for a dollar. I've used them for years. Anything to break up your outline....but this is mostly just needed for archery hunting and turkey. For deer, most states require some type of blaze orange.
Calls...yet, they can wait. Learn how to truly hunt and use your skills. PATIENCE is the main thing you need to learm. That and being still/quite. You have these two things learned and you WILL have good luck.
Stands...nice to have but I have harvested all of my trophy sized animals from the ground. Learn to use it to your advantage. Hide in brush or pile it up and stay still...watch the wind.
There is not enough time in the day to try and tell you everything. Most of it will come from experience, also there are many good forums to read and books out there to cover any type of hunting you can imagine.

Good Luck,
WW
Old 10-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Well its nice to see your trying to do it right from the start. IM going to try this with a 16 year olds budget in mind.

Clothes: You dont NEED the best camo you can get. I go out and spend $30 on pants and $10-$15 on a shirt. You honestly dont NEED camo at all. Ive killed many deer without it. Juts find something that kinda blends in. And be sure to have plenty of clothes to keep you warm.

Guns: Your best be for a gun would be a good combo shotgun from Mossberg or Remington. You can get one for around $250-$300. It comes with a smooth bore barrel for Dove and Quail, and a rifled barrel to shoot slugs for Deer.

Main Gear: IM just going to make a list for this one:
20' rope (pull stuff into treestand)
Good Knife (Kinda obvious)
Communicators (cell phone, 2 way radios, we have found texting in the woods works well)
Some kind of bag to carry everything.

Dont worry about calls for now. I have them and barely use them. Some good sents for deer always helps though. I use Tinks 69. Its about $10 a bottle but ive used the same bottle for 3 years.

I feel like im missing something. If i remember anything else ill post it on here and im sure someone else will add more to the list.
Very good advice!................................I too have hunted many years without camo. If you want Camo clothing, go to an Army Surplus to purchase them, you will save yourself a bunch of money...
Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 500 Mossberg in 20 & 12 gauge with a slug barrel for the 20,Ive had thesefor almost 30yrs and dont see a need to buy anything else..The best gun in the world wont get ya deer or birds...
The 500 is a awsome starter shotgun.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 AM

MOssbergs are good guns. what i hunt with. I use and 835 instead of a 500 though. ITs not any better then the 500 its jsut my preference.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the Moss 835 "Combo" and a 500..............and use both of them...
Old 10-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jordan,welcome to our sport/lifestyle! You are going about this the right way. The FIRST thing I would suggest is a safety course and/or take a shooting course to learn safe,proper gun handling and to be able to hit what you aim at. In fact,it may be a requirement in your state to go thru such a course before you can get a hunting license. Safety is the #1 concern. It would be very easy to get excited by sight of game and shoot without thinking about what's behind deer(safe backstop). That being said,it's my opinion that a remington 870 or mossberg 500 combo would be very hard to beat indeed. With 1 barrel vent rib and interchangable choke tubes and other barrel with sights and rifled for slugs it will do anything you want within reason. I would stick with 12 gauge simply because of the versatility and convenience of being able to find any load you need anywhere. Also with a 12 gauge,you'll be able to match the ammo to desired game and recoil level and you won't feel the need to "move up" later. I can see no need of shooting 3" magnum shells. Clothing needs are pretty flexible except for needing blaze orange as required by law and to meet safety ideals. Remember to dress in layers so you can adapt to conditions. Camo clothing is unneccecary as deer are color blind and see movement a lot more than a person/object that is totally still. Just about any quality well designed knife such as buck,gerber,scrade,kershaw,camillius,or case will do several jobs but you need to get a good knife sharpener. A fixed blade will be tougher/stronger,have less moving parts,and usually last longer than a folding knife-not to mention safer. I reccomend sharpening sticks such as those made by smith's or lansky.They are made of ceramic,are preset at proper angles for optimum sharpness,and very easy to use. Be sure to get an oily rag to wipe down gun and knife so that they don't rust as once it's on there,it's harder to get off than to prevent it from rusting in the first place. The BEST way to be successful when deer hunting is NOT to let them know you were ever there. #1 way to do this is scent control. I honestly believe it's impossible to completely fool a deer's nose every time but you can reduce scent to a point where there's so little that they aren't alarmed,possibly because with such little scent they think you are a lot further away. Hunting into the wind is the single best way of keeping them from smelling you. That's why if the wind is wrong it'll be hard to hunt from a permanent fixed stand. Also,if you hunt from the same stand all the time,you'll get "busted"-the deer will pattern you and learn to stayout of rangefrom your stand. Washing with no scent soap,washing clothes with no scent landry detergent,keeping your hunting clothes from normal human scents(don't put hunting clothes on until you are ready to hunt),cover scents,and attractant scents are all proven basics of scent control. I guess I'll quit rambling on-yall let me know what I've missed.

Quick Reply: guns, gear,help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.