Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How do you break-in your new rifle? >

How do you break-in your new rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do you break-in your new rifle?

Old 12-24-2006, 07:13 PM

Default How do you break-in your new rifle?

Ive been reading different things about breaking in a new barrel. Does everyone do this and whats the best way? Ill take any advice on this. Here are some of the sites I found that talked about it.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Article...BreakIn_II.asp
http://www.shooters-supply.com/break_in.html
http://www.larrywillis.com/Barrel.html
http://www.eabco.com/Reports/BarrelBreakIn.htm

Old 12-24-2006, 07:31 PM

Default RE: How do you break-in your new rifle?

If you answer a few questions we'll be able to help you a lot better...

what type of rifle is it ?

what is it going to be used for ?

what caliber is it ?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:46 PM

I didn't look at all these websites, but I'm sure they all have a common theme: try to send the bullets down a clean unfouled barrel for the first five or ten shots - so each bullet can pass over bare steel and burnish it slightly. The method I have used over the years is to use a heavy-for-caliber bullet - preferably a round nose to get maximum bearing surface. Clean the barrel every shot for the first ten shots. Make sure you start out with a really clean barrel.

By cleaning, I mean to push a couple wet patches through the barrel followed by ten brush strokes with a wet brush. Wet the initial patches and brass brush with Sweet's 7.62. Then start pushing through patches wet with Shooter's Choice until they come out clean - hopefully no more than four or five. Then a couple of dry patches. Fire another round. Repeat.

After the first ten, then clean every five shots for the next thirty. Then just shoot it as normal.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I didn't look at all these websites, but I'm sure they all have a common theme: try to send the bullets down a clean unfouled barrel for the first five or ten shots - so each bullet can pass over bare steel and burnish it slightly. The method I have used over the years is to use a heavy-for-caliber bullet - preferably a round nose to get maximum bearing surface. Clean the barrel every shot for the first ten shots. Make sure you start out with a really clean barrel.

By cleaning, I mean to push a couple wet patches through the barrel followed by ten brush strokes with a wet brush. Wet the initial patches and brass brush with Sweet's 7.62. Then start pushing through patches wet with Shooter's Choice until they come out clean - hopefully no more than four or five. Then a couple of dry patches. Fire another round. Repeat.

After the first ten, then clean every five shots for the next thirty. Then just shoot it as normal.
Not necessarily. Read what the guy's from Sniper Central reccomend. I followed their procedure as they know what they are talking about. I've been a member over there for quite some time. I had amazing results. It could just be the gun but it worked fantastic.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:03 PM

Its a Browning A-Bolt .270WSM stainless stalker, Im going to be using it mainly for hunting deer and coyotes. All these cleaning stuff available at Wally world or will I need to go to a larger store like Gander Mt?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:40 PM

I try to shoot no more then 10 shots per range session, for maybe the first 50 rounds, and just clean the gun as normal after each range session.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:47 AM

I always clean the bore out of box, after first shot,after 3shot groupx3.
ThenI clean every 10 shots for 40 rounds being careful to not shoot hot.

As long asthe manufacturerdoes not suggestotherwise.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have gone thru the tedious roll of cleaning my barrel on new rifles but came across an interesting article on how it’s not really necessary as Brut mentioned. I have two new rifles at this time and I’m still not sure if I should go the long way. Ah well, I’ll have to do something soon...
Old 12-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Id do a search on Roskoe's post and you'll quickly realize he knows what he is talking about and go with his method.

Good luck with that Browning, itll be a nice one. Goto grafs.com or Brownells.com and treat yourself to a new set of trigger springs for it so you can get your trigger exactly how you like it. If you have any questions with that PM me.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:24 AM

Since its just a factory rifle with a standard barrel and not a benchrest rig with a custom barrel you should clean and oil the barrel before firing it then fire a couple groups, clean again repeat that over a few times and youll be fine. The gear you can buy at walmart should suit you fine, just remember the remove the bolt and clean from the breech and not from the muzzle.

Quick Reply: How do you break-in your new rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.