Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Wingmaster >

Remington Wingmaster

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Wingmaster

Old 09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Spike

Default Remington Wingmaster

Can I take a the gun mentioned above in a 2 3/4" shot and convert it to take 3 1/2"??

Gun is about 15 years old i am being told, it's a gun that I am concidering buying but only if it's possible to make this conversion,

Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Default RE: Remington Wingmaster

Sorry :: But I do not think that is possible!!
23/4 is 23/4 . Can not up grade gun to shoot 3" or 31/2
Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

no , you can't do it , the action isn't long enough to accomadate the longer shell and you can't lengthen the receiver , i also believe the internal workings may be different as well .
Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Spike

Thanks,

Guess I will be passing on this buy,

Jeff
Old 09-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

No that cannot be done and if it could it would be cheaper to buy a new shotgun
Old 09-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I believe that it can be converted to 3" shells. It involves milling the trip point for ejection 1/4" farther back and replacing the ejector spring with one designed for 3". I think absolutely everything else is the same between 2 3/4 & 3" recievers. You would need a 3" barrel too or all this work is moot.

I used to see ads for a company that does this conversion.

It cannot be converted to 3 1/2" though.

You are better of just buying a 3" to begin with (or 3 1/2").

Bob
Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Shoot someones 3 1/2 before you buy one. Those things kick like a mule, and I dont think are worth the money. Even a 3" gun is brutle. If your getting a pretty good deal on that wingmaster, take a look at available 2 3/4" ammo. Kent makes some loads that compete with 3".

Old 09-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Fork Horn

vabyrd's post got me thinking. The 3 1/2" gun is more for goose hunting and this is a deer forum. I have an old 2 3/4" Wingmaster with a rifled rifle sight barrel that I bought later. I also have an 870 Express (3") combo with a smooth bore rifle sight barrel.

I prefer the Express with 2 3/4" slugs for deer. I have not shot at a deer over 100 yards in so long, I can't remember. I have confidence in the Express based on results in the field. It looks good too, being a fluke gun that came with a walnut stock from the factory. (I hate the looks of the birch guns.)

Bob
Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Spike

Thought this was just the general guns forum, did not realize it was just for deer,

Mostly shooting geese with the shotgun, I use rifle for deer/moose,

Thanks for all the answers, I will wait until i find that 3.5"

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

vabyrd's post got me thinking. The 3 1/2" gun is more for goose hunting and this is a deer forum. I have an old 2 3/4" Wingmaster with a rifled rifle sight barrel that I bought later. I also have an 870 Express (3") combo with a smooth bore rifle sight barrel.

I prefer the Express with 2 3/4" slugs for deer. I have not shot at a deer over 100 yards in so long, I can't remember. I have confidence in the Express based on results in the field. It looks good too, being a fluke gun that came with a walnut stock from the factory. (I hate the looks of the birch guns.)

Bob
Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Deer forum"? Scroll up. Has its own header. This is the "Guns" section, where this question is entirely appropriate. Scroll down, there's even a "Fishing" section.

I have an aforementioned 2-3/4" Wingmaster as well. Remington's line is that you can't switch over to 3" unless you have a "Magnum" receiver (which mine does not - I think I recall it said the SN would have an "M" at the end if it was a "Magnum" receiver).

Otherwise, we've hunted Canadas for years with 3", sometimes with 2-3/4". I've borrowed a 3-1/2" a couple times but don't find it works any better for me than my 3". But, the 3-1/2" does seem to be all the rage in the goose blinds.

Quick Reply: Remington Wingmaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.