Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Are bolts hard to use for kids? >

Are bolts hard to use for kids?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are bolts hard to use for kids?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Spike

Default Are bolts hard to use for kids?

I read a comment on another forum that said a guy's kid couldn't use the bolt very well on his Savage or Marlin rifle. I can't remember which. Does that seem odd? They didn't appear to be that hard to use to me, but I realize I'm older. The kid in question is 12 and not especially strong. These make me lean towards a cheaper, but very praised Ruger 10/22 semi-automatic.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are bolts hard to use for kids?

Well young man lets put it this way, if you don't have the strength to cycle a bolt - how in the heck are you going to drag out your deer should you get one??
Bolt actions are not difficult to work. But if you are strong enough to hold one up to your shoulder and aim with some degree of accuracy then you should have no trouble working a bolt.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the kid and the qualtiy of the gun. Pencils are hard to use for some kids.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. A young shooter who cannot manipulate a bolt-action .22 likely will have even more difficulty using a semi-automatic. The bolt on a semi-automatic .22not only must be pulled rearward and released, you must also overcome the resistance of a mainspring.

More often a contributor is simple inexperience and/or lack of confidence. It's pretty easy for a young shooter to be overwhelmed by just not knowing or being familiar with how their firearm works. I've seen kids who can't even open the bolt for fear of what might happen. After all - there's resistance to their actions - and they often perceive that resistance negatively and give up. Best thing is probably just to familiarize them with how things work (often a kid favorite pastime anyway). Reassure them that "it's supposed to work like that, there's no need to be afraid you might hurt it".

I've read your other posts though. There's also nothing wrong with the lot of you asking someone to take you shooting. If you're unsure of yourself, it's likely the kids will emulate that. Maybe there's someone on here in your area?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the above, I was working the action on a Cooey long time before I legally was allowed to. Maybe it was just a sticky bolt?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Started both my boys with a single shot bolt action Cooey .22. Just thought by slowing them down from the start would help them with safety as well as having patience and making the first shot count. They are both older now and when they go plinking they use both bolt as well as their semi autos. A brick doesn't last too long when you have a couple of teenagers with semi autos.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Started both my boys with a single shot bolt action Cooey .22.
You know you're Canadian when...[8D]