Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Camo-paint for rifle stock? >

Camo-paint for rifle stock?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Camo-paint for rifle stock?

Old 03-17-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Camo-paint for rifle stock?

I' d like to know if anyone has any first-hand knowledge on the use of camo paint on a polymer rifle stock. What kind of surface prep is needed, what kind of paint is best for this type of application, and what wears the best afterward? Thanks for your much appreciated information!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:40 AM

Default RE: Camo-paint for rifle stock?

A light steel wooling will give the paint something to adhear to.Krylon gets the best marks for lasting but rustoleum was all I could find.Some guys swear by the rubberized black paint you can buy and claim it wears better.All camo paint jobs will scratch and wear when used for hunting so a recoat every two years or so are in order.Get three or four flat camo colors you want to use and spray the stock all over with the lightest color first(sand or tan)then splotch with dark green light green and brown.Now take a leaf or a plastic fern out of a flower arrangement and hold over different spots and shadow with flat black.This will give you a professional looking shadowed camo finish.Look for varmint als or camo jacks web pages for instructions and pics of finished stocks.Right before you paint wipe the stock down with alcohol to remove any oils or hand prints.Good Painting!

woods
Old 03-18-2003, 04:50 PM

Thanks woodseye! I will check out the two web sites you mentioned and your procedure sounds like a winner also. Thanks for the details.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:55 PM

On a side note, my uncle had an old ruger centerfire bolt action with a wood stock with all the attractiveness of a 2X4. So he painted it a medium flat green with floor paint or some such thing. Anyway, it looks nice was very easy and lasts a very long time. He must have put it in an air gun or found a spray can because there are no brush marks or drips. If you didn' t know better you might think the stock came that way.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you do paint your stock be very careful with your insect repellant. One of my hunting buddies had his stock painted and it turned out nice, but after taking it out a few times he noticed the paint had almost melted where he held the rifle. Come to find out his bug spray was eating the paint.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the many ideas, maybe a mixture of these will produce some really nice results. Like maybe a flat sand floor paint with a mixture of flat shades of the other colors sprayed over the fake leaves from one of my wifes fake plants.[>:] I wonder if you can get a dull clear coat? Anymore ideas will be greatly appreciated, who knows what we can come up with.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:06 AM

The one brand of satin clear I found at wally world wrinkled bad when applied over the rustoleum.This was a little annoying as I had to let fully dry and sand smooth and repaint the entire gun again.Make sure you can apply the clear without reactions.

woods
Old 03-21-2003, 04:21 AM

What the hay are you all going on about...don' t you ever watch the Red Green Show....now goll darn it guys....use camo duct tape..[:-]..got my whole gun covered in it & it looks great!!!!!!! Just have to touch it up every couple of years...heck even did my ATV helmet [&:] so them there animals don' t see me driving into my setup!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]