Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Model 742-Jamming Issue >

Remington Model 742-Jamming Issue

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Model 742-Jamming Issue

Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Remington Model 742-Jamming Issue

I have a 35 year old Model 742 Remington semi-auto....I have experienced jamming occassionally. I use Premium nickel plated Reminton shells.I have always cleaned the gun thoroughly...chamber with chamber brush, steel wool, solvent etc. I had a gunsmith replace the action spring. The most frequent issue is the fired shell ejects and the following shell goes halway ino the chamber. I have taken the gun down for cleaning hundreds of times. I heard that it could be a fouled gas piston. Can anyone tell me where this gas piston is ? Obviously it has to be just below the barrel - how do I get at it to clean it OR can I use some type of solvent ? I have downed many a deer/moose/bear with gun but I now never have the security of being confident in a repeat shot, if necessary...I always try to make the 1st shot count, but hunting in the bush and seeing a number of running gameas they run through openings it is difficult to get a clear 1st shot most times. Thank you....Al ( I would buy a new BAR but my wife says there are many things we need 1st which means I my have this baby for the rest of my life. The last 2 seasons I haven't even had a shot, but when the trophy buck comes into view I want to know that I missed personally not that my gun wouldn't cyclethe shells. Thx Al
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington Model 742-Jamming Issue

If your action is openning far enough to eject, your problem is most likely in the action, not the gas port. To answer your question first, remove the forarm, with the rifle upside down, you will see an allen screw in the block, remove the screw and a metering ball will roll out when you upright the gun" cup your hand under it to catch it, it can easily be lost". If it doesnt come out, you can squirt some break free in the hole, put the screw back in and seat it, turn it out a couple of turns " makeing sure you have plenty of thread contact", slide the forarm back on and shoot it, this will normaly get a stuck ball loose. Clean the gas port, make sure the ball is round, then reassemble. Nine times out of ten though, the way the bolt slams back, it creates a pattern of the locking lugs on the receiver rails, after a period of time this slows the action enough to create the misfeed you are talking about. The fix is to take it to a competent gunsmith to tear it down, peen the ridges back in place, repolish the rails and reassemble the rifle. Ive saved numerous 742s from liveing the rest of their lives as wall hangers this way.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 742...isn't that the old sem-auto that had a tendancy to get chattering in the reciever, something about the lugs or their locking areas. I know I've heard about function issues with this model before and it all stemmed from excessive wear. If that is the issue, basically it's a dead horse, put it to pasture and look for a new ride.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Thx gentleman....if I do go out and get a new ride.... my wife will tell me that she will get a new ride too !
Old 09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

have you tried a new clip?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would try a few other brands of ammo as well. My friend had one that would only feed WW shells reliably. It would be a cheap thing to try.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:17 PM
DM

Once a 742 is wore out enough that it fails to feed properly... (and in my experience that's a lot of shooting) It STILL can be used as a single shot!

And thatputs it in at least as good of company as all the other single shots out there, like Ruger number ones, NEF's ect...

Of the several 742's we have owned, only one was mostly wore out, and dad shot that one nearly every day for a long long time... The one i still have, is very accurate and reliable.

DM
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Along the lines of what DM said, true it'll still work as a single shot every time. Make the one shot count and the subsequant rounds are moot. Exactly as it should be anyways.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 PM

Bought a new Remington clip today to add to my collection $23.09CDN