HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington Model 742-Jamming Issue
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Alan3006

Default Remington Model 742-Jamming Issue

I have a 35 year old Model 742 Remington semi-auto....I have experienced jamming occassionally. I use Premium nickel plated Reminton shells.I have always cleaned the gun thoroughly...chamber with chamber brush, steel wool, solvent etc. I had a gunsmith replace the action spring. The most frequent issue is the fired shell ejects and the following shell goes halway ino the chamber. I have taken the gun down for cleaning hundreds of times. I heard that it could be a fouled gas piston. Can anyone tell me where this gas piston is ? Obviously it has to be just below the barrel - how do I get at it to clean it OR can I use some type of solvent ? I have downed many a deer/moose/bear with gun but I now never have the security of being confident in a repeat shot, if necessary...I always try to make the 1st shot count, but hunting in the bush and seeing a number of running gameas they run through openings it is difficult to get a clear 1st shot most times. Thank you....Al ( I would buy a new BAR but my wife says there are many things we need 1st which means I my have this baby for the rest of my life. The last 2 seasons I haven't even had a shot, but when the trophy buck comes into view I want to know that I missed personally not that my gun wouldn't cyclethe shells. Thx Al