Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .300 Win. Mag. Recoil questions >

.300 Win. Mag. Recoil questions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.300 Win. Mag. Recoil questions

Old 09-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default .300 Win. Mag. Recoil questions

Let me first say that I have absolutely no need for a .300 Win. Mag. for what I hunt. I'm in east Texas and hunt deer and hogs.......but I love guns.
I've always wanted to have a .300 Winny in the collection, but I've never shot one...and I'm unsure of how the recoil will effect me.
I primarily hunt with a .270 Win. or .30-06. No problem with recoil there. One of my favorite rifles that I still kick myself for selling was a Ruger M77 stainless/laminate in 7mm. Rem. Mag.
If I REALLY consentrate, I can tell a TINY bit of difference between the .270 and 06'. I would say there was another TINY step up in recoil from the 06' to the 7mm. Rem. Mag., but nothing that bothered me.

I was thinking of getting another Ruger M77 stainless/laminate in .300 Win. Mag. and was wondering how much of a step up in recoil that I would feel. I know every shooter is different and some people will perceive more recoil than others.
Again, I have no NEED for the .300....just a WANT. There's something about pulling one of those rounds out of a box of ammo that makes me want to do a Tim Taylor man grunt.

The pop on the shoulder isn't what concerns me. I've always had a fear of getting caught by the scope between the eyes. I know that can happen with just about any caliber if you creep too far up the stock.

Please don't slam me too hard for wanting a caliber that's much larger than what I really need. I know it's overkill for deer and hogs. Just something about the caliber has always drawn me to it. I just dont want to get one and regret it.

Any feedback you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .300 Win. Mag. Recoil questions

I have a 300 Win Mag in a Winchester Model 70. There is some obvious recoil there but it isn't at all unmanagable in my opinion.
I truly love that rifle. Overkill? Maybe. Effective on whitetail? Absolutely! I've killed a few with it in Eastern Kentucky and I've yet to track one! I've shot all of the rifles you mentioned and my 300 will thumb me harder but ifit becomesan issue for you, I'd suggest grab a lead sled or something for your range shooting and when your in the field zeroed on that big Texas buck you'll never notice!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 AM

I would say its less of a slap/punch of a slug out ofa 12 gauge and more of an even push. Its noticable but I have a muzzle break on mine for range sessions and I remove that for the field and dont notice the recoil in the field. Also, just get a good recoil pad as many have suggested in different threads on here before.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

A quality scope with good eye relief will help with the "scope-eye" problem..
Old 09-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The pop on the shoulder isn't what concerns me. I've always had a fear of getting caught by the scope between the eyes. I know that can happen with just about any caliber if you creep too far up the stock.
A quality scope with good eye relief will help with the "scope-eye" problem..
A quality scope with good eye relief and proper basic shooting techniques will eliminate the problem.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Go for itget a quality scope and make sure it is long on the eye relief, and if it's too much recoil you can put on a muzzle break, thats what I did now it kicks a lot less than my BAR in 30-06
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say 10-15% more recoil than a .30-06. Only issue though is every gun is different.

Tom
Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, it's a non-issue. I kept hearing people tell me how bad it was going to be and it wasn't at all. Actually, I shot 10 shots inalmost rapid succession a few weeks back and it wasn't bad. Plus, you have to think, especiallywith the price of ammo that it's not going to be a plinking gun.

I have a Savage 300 win mag and it comes with a factory recoil pad that does a great job. If you do find you're recoil sensitive (I doubt it) then put on a limbsaver pad too. I'm going to use my 300 this year, because I don't want to have to screw with tracking deer deep into the woods. It doesn't destroy the meat, but it puts them down almost immediately.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
DM

I once had a 700 Rem. "test" gun that i could switch bbls on at the range... I was testing 175 grain bullets with it loaded in the Rem. 7mm Mag. bbl... When i was done, i switched to the 300 Win. Mag. bbl., and loaded insome 200 grain loads to test.

Anyway, when i touched it off, i couldn't believe how much more recoil the 300 had... The Weaver T-10 i was using, was now bumping my eyebrow, where with the 7mm bbl installed, it didn't even get close.

For me, it's "cased closed"...

DM
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

For me, it's a non-issue. I kept hearing people tell me how bad it was going to be and it wasn't at all. Actually, I shot 10 shots inalmost rapid succession a few weeks back and it wasn't bad. Plus, you have to think, especiallywith the price of ammo that it's not going to be a plinking gun.

I have a Savage 300 win mag and it comes with a factory recoil pad that does a great job. If you do find you're recoil sensitive (I doubt it) then put on a limbsaver pad too. I'm going to use my 300 this year, because I don't want to have to screw with tracking deer deep into the woods. It doesn't destroy the meat, but it puts them down almost immediately.
I know and hunt withrobb and trust me if he says it isn't bad then it isn't bad because hes the biggest vagina i know. plus the guy has 2 butt pads on it.
j/k
I have a weatherby in a 300wsm and that thing kicks less then my old savage 30.6. Robb and I are going back to the rang to shoot soon and i want to shoot his to compare with mine. You can go wrong with the 300 imho. Just be sure to get a limbsaver butt pad.

Quick Reply: .300 Win. Mag. Recoil questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.