Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg " Chuckster"  .22mag...anyone? >

Mossberg " Chuckster" .22mag...anyone?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg " Chuckster" .22mag...anyone?

Old 03-15-2003, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Mossberg " Chuckster" .22mag...anyone?

Picked up an old Mossberg .22 mag bolt action rifle. Someone threw it away down a garbage chute into the building dumpster. The garbage man saw it & wouldn' t take it so the building engineer put it aside in the trash/boiler room. Where I was washing my hands after a job and saw it. 1st thought it was maybe a pellet gun but picked it up and saw it was .22. Covered in all the trappings that make an everyday dumpster " interesting" . The old Romanian engineer said I could have it, he didn' t want any trouble (I had kinda explained the gun card and possesion laws), didn' t want any kids to get it, do him the favor and take it. OK.

Took it all apart and washed it in the slop sink with detergent. Dried it, cleaned and oiled it. Put it back together and put a couple cautious shots thru it, nno problems.

It had an old, small .22 scope on it that had turned yellow thru it and the stock was covered with what was like 4 coats of clear varnish & kinda banged up. There was no magazine.

I ordered magazine from, yes, Gun Parts Corp.. Picked up a pretty sweet Simmons 3-9 X 40 scope on it w/ new rings. Stripped the stock to bare wood & streamed the dents and sanded the scratches out of the stock. Finished with a couple of rubbings of linseed oil. Put it all together and it' s a real good lookin (and shootin-especially) gun.

It is a MOSSBERG, MODEL 640 KA " CHUCKSTER" , no S/N so it' s definately older.

I told some guys at a gun shop I use alot and a women sales girl there was all over it. Said she has some of these 640' s and has never heard of the " CHUCKSTER" . So I brought it in for her to check out and she looked thru all here resources and could not find a " CHUCKSTER" model listed anywhere.

I had to rebuff her offer to expand her collection. (Have to enjoy this one for atleast a few years.)

ANYONE HEARD OF " CHUCKSTER" model? Or know where it' s listed for any thing?

Kinda neat story, would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg " Chuckster" .22mag...anyone?

Matt...I' ve got a buddy that squirrel hunts with one. He picked it up at a gun show 2 years ago for $100. It was in good shape, with no scope. He just liked the looks of it. His is a 650 KA, too.

From what he says...you have a shooter. Congratulations!
Old 03-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

First gun I bought for my wife. Nice gun.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought a New 640 K Chuckster 22 Mag about 1970-71. I think it was a pretty new model then. I loved the gun it was very accurate and really hit hard compared to a .22 long rifle. I bought my first 243 a few years later and My Father in Law wanted to buy my Chuckser. I wish I had it back. When he passed away I could not ever find out what happened to the rifle. Anyway enjoy shooting it. Great Gun.