Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rem 700 adl or savage 110 >

rem 700 adl or savage 110

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rem 700 adl or savage 110

Old 08-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rem 700 adl or savage 110

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have owned both and both worked great. I had a 110 E in the 80's I used to target shoot with. Never had a problem with it. It wasn't $170.00 either. That is one heck of a deal you were giving on them.

And I wasn't aware the Savages were imported? I thought they were made here, especially the 110 series. Where where they imported from?
Paul
Paul I do not intend to be misleading. When I say I sold lots of 110-E's. I meant that literally. I sold thousands of them. But please keep in mind I was selling for a wholeslaer, not a retailer. So if I was misleading there then I apologize. But I was not misleading about the return rate of the rifles. I do not doubt it when you say you gotgoodones. But the 110-E along with their over and under Rifle/Shotgun combo were the worst two firearms I sold. Especialy that combo. I rarely saw one that was regulated properly.

And you are correct the 110-E was not imported. If you reread my post I was saying that Savage imported a lot of different firearms over the years. Some were high quality, and some were not. In your defense I can remember when Savage imported the Tikka and Valmet over and unders, and I can remember whenSavage imported the Anschutz. All three of those firearms were very high quality. Especially thatValmet, it was a real beauty.

I do not have much experience with the Remington 710. I know two people who have one. Both are 30-06's. Both rifles shoot well(for them), 1inch to 1-1/2inch groups. They both like their rifles, and they liked the price. But they probably shoot a box of ammo every 2 to 3 years. Which IMO is who Remington marketed the rifle to. Tom.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

I would choose the Savage. They are not a good looker but they havea great factorytrigger. My savage did foul copper bad, but shot 1 1/2" groups with factory ammo which was OK. I decided to try the Tubbs Final Finish system and it now shoots MOA consistently, does not foul and is a dream to clean. Fit and finish is not the best but it is solid and reliable.
The threaded barrel allows barrel replacement without a gunsmith and the action eliminates the need forgunsmithing if you choose build a custom rifle down the road. You can actually buy a Match Grade Shilen for approx $260 and install it without a gunsmith.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:25 PM

I have shot both the 700 (as m70) and the 110 (tactical police and wal-mart special) . If I had to choose between a Savage and a Remington, I would have to go with the Savage. I liked the trigger better (pre-accutrigger) and the Savages delivered consistently smaller groups. I also liked the action of the bolt better on the Savage, but that could be due to my body mechanics more than design. The wal-mart Savage was bought for $170 on sale with a POS Simmons scope on it. I decided to leave it on there until it broke, and that day never came. It never fogged up or lost zero or anything else I have heard about them, both the rifle and the scope functioned perfectly. Maybe I just lucked out. The rifle was sub-MOA out of the box using good factory ammo, so maybe I lucked out there too. I will be willing to try my luck again when I get my 7-08.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:57 PM

I am new to this site but I've been shooting for almost 44 years at least 1 time a week and generally twice a week Tuesday's and Thursdays. I've shot a great number of rifles from verious manufactures including Savage and Remington. Years ago Savage had the reputation of being a "working mans gun" no frills, but dependable and fairly accurate out of the box. Remington has always advertised "most accurate out of the box". My experience is I have foundinaccurate rifle from both manufactuer out of the box and on the other side of the coin I've found both manufacturer to have extemely accurate rifles out of the box.It's pretty much an even draw on how accurate your rifle will be out of the box. The majority of my rifles are Remington's because I love their actions and with a little modification they can be tack drivers in most calibers. I own a very expensive Parker-Hale in 7mm Rem Mag that sub MOA at 100 yards is impossible. My Savage's and Remington" will easily out shot it. The reason I keep it is that it was my father's last deer rifle and I got it when he passed away. My suggestion to you is go to gun shop where you are able to shoulder and hold both the rifle's you are looking at and see which one feels the best to you and buy it. Confidence in your weapon is 90%of how accurate you will shot it.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

i ordered a new rifle the other day. i had to decide on a remington or savage myself. i wanted a varmit rifle with a heavy barrel in 243. both rifles i looked at were about the same as far as price but i decided to go with the remington sps varmit. most of the rifles i own are remington so this was a plus in the decision. i also ordered a leupold vx1 scope to put my rifle. hope this combination turns out to be a tack driver. any comments welcome.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Its truley a matter of opinion. I had both. I bought a Savage 110 in .30-06 and a Reminton 700 ADLin .243.I prefer the action of the ADL and the overall look of the rifle. My adl achieved 1 MOA, the savage did not. In my opinion, the accutrigger is the one advantage over the remington. However, my remington grouped better so what's the point. All my rifles now are Rem 700s. I sold my Savage and a Winchester and bought a Rem 700 SS in .300 WSM. The only brand I'd choose over Rem is Kimber.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have owned both and both worked great. I had a 110 E in the 80's I used to target shoot with. Never had a problem with it. It wasn't $170.00 either. That is one heck of a deal you were giving on them.

And I wasn't aware the Savages were imported? I thought they were made here, especially the 110 series. Where where they imported from?
Paul

And you are correct the 110-E was not imported. If you reread my post I was saying that Savage imported a lot of different firearms over the years. Some were high quality, and some were not. In your defense I can remember when Savage imported the Tikka and Valmet over and unders, and I can remember whenSavage imported the Anschutz. All three of those firearms were very high quality. Especially thatValmet, it was a real beauty.
I'm sorry Tom, I miss read your post. I thought you were implying that the 110's were imported. I have never heard of that many problems with them but then again I don't buy or sell guns for a living. I can just go buy what the people around me have experienced. I will agree over the years Savage has had some not so great weapons with their name on it, I never new the 110 was one of them though. Could it just be the amount of returns was do to the amount that were sold?

Paul
Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

pahtr - just answer me one question please. How old are your father's and uncles' rifles? I bet they are all at least 10 years old.
They are but mine is less then 5. and it still performs the same exact way!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

delete

Old 08-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

delete

Quick Reply: rem 700 adl or savage 110

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.