Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thompsen Center >

Thompsen Center

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thompsen Center

Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thompsen Center

Is there something that I am missing here? It seems like it is a really popular gun. I see them on hunting shows all of the time and read about it on the web a quite a bit as well. I really dont see many advantages of it. I realize that you can interchange the barrels, and that it is probably a quality firearm, but beyond the fact that you can change barrels a bolt action looks to me like it is the much better choice. So why do we see them all of the time on the TV? New trend? TC sponsoring the show? or are they just that much better? Anyone else as confused as I am?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thompsen Center

No confusion, just marketing. A bolt action is a much better choice! JMHO
Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know what? There are suckers born every day.

Marketing is 100% correct. Theyfigured out howto get people to pay $800+ for a cast receiver, synthetic stocked, single shot rifle.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Marketing is 100% correct. Theyfigured out howto get people to pay $800+ for a cast receiver, synthetic stocked, single shot rifle.
Not to mention they are ugly as sin! if I am gonna pay that kind of money, I will be getting a Ruger # 1, they are much nicer than the boat anchor TC'. Damned be the day when I pay $800+ for a break action rifle!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

most is marketing and T/C does sponser alot of hunting shows. with that being said, my T/C Pro Hunter is the BEST firearm i own and i own alot of guns. i think they look good, it is very accurate (probally my most accurate rifle), shorter than most rifles even with the longer barrel (due to not having an action like a bolt action or semi auto). that makes the rifle around 5 to 7 inches shorter in overall length which is a BIG plus when hunting in tight spots. the biggest selling point for me was when i shouldered one for the first time. it is by far the most comfortable rifle i have ever shouldered. it has a more natural feel than the traditional rifle due to theshape of the butt. your trigger hand is not in an unnatural hand position as it is when holding a traditional rifle, which places less strain on your wrist. anyone who argue's that the T/C Encore and/or Pro Hunter is less comfortable than a traditional rifle probably has never shouldered one. before you down this rifle, atleast shoulder it and see for yourself.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

All hunting rifles are single shots. Unless you know of one that shoots more than one shot at a time. Marketing or not they work quite well and apparently not all gun buyers believe that a bolt rifle is a better gun. If in fact you paid $800 for a TC you got took and didn't shop much. An Encore carbine frame and stock can be had for about $350 and barrels go for $250 plus or minus. Who got the other $200 ?
If you took all the failed "cast" receiver TC Encore frames you couldn't make one good boat anchor out of them. They are not for everyone but with 30 some years of shooting TC products and owning guns from nearly every manufacturer I can say for my money they work very well.
If you have taken a close look at some of the offerings that competitive gun makers have out ...ie Remington SPS (doesn't get any cheesier than that), Savage/ Stevens (plastic stock, unfinished with sharp edges and rough machine work) Ruger77 (investment 'cast' reciever, boat paddle stock and cheap grey finished metal) TC starts looking better and better.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skb2706

All hunting rifles are single shots. Unless you know of one that shoots more than one shot at a time. Marketing or not they work quite well and apparently not all gun buyers believe that a bolt rifle is a better gun. If in fact you paid $800 for a TC you got took and didn't shop much. An Encore carbine frame and stock can be had for about $350 and barrels go for $250 plus or minus. Who got the other $200 ?
If you took all the failed "cast" receiver TC Encore frames you couldn't make one good boat anchor out of them. They are not for everyone but with 30 some years of shooting TC products and owning guns from nearly every manufacturer I can say for my money they work very well.
If you have taken a close look at some of the offerings that competitive gun makers have out ...ie Remington SPS (doesn't get any cheesier than that), Savage/ Stevens (plastic stock, unfinished with sharp edges and rough machine work) Ruger77 (investment 'cast' reciever, boat paddle stock and cheap grey finished metal) TC starts looking better and better.
The action still breaks open, and do tell me, how many Ultra Mag, and Weatherby mag chambered T/C's have you seen? could it be that the action is too weak to support such cartridges? heck, my cheap Ruger or Remington can handle those cartridges!

I guess it just comes down to personal preference, one man's trash, is another man's treasure.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt Encores have limitations...you either live with them or buy something else. As I said apparently alot of people like them.
Not being able to chamber an Ultra Mag or a Weatherby round is hardly a serious limitation. I've not found either one of them to fulfill any gun need I have.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:40 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: skb2706

No doubt Encores have limitations...you either live with them or buy something else. As I said apparently alot of people like them.
Not being able to chamber an Ultra Mag or a Weatherby round is hardly a serious limitation. I've not found either one of them to fulfill any gun need I have.
I don't own an Encore, but i've owned numerous Nuber 1's in the past. I like single shots, but i hate the weight of those #1's...

If someone gave me an ultra mag tomorrow, i would never even use it. I haven't found anything i can't kill with a "non" ultra mag... And i hate all the recoil and muzzle blast of those things!

Three of my brothers have Encores, and they like them...

DM
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Not to mention they are ugly as sin! if I am gonna pay that kind of money, I will be getting a Ruger # 1, they are much nicer than the boat anchor TC'. Damned be the day when I pay $800+ for a break action rifle!
does jealousy fuel your hatred towards a better rifle?

Quick Reply: Thompsen Center

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.