Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 to BOSS or not? >

to BOSS or not?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

to BOSS or not?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: to BOSS or not?

Oh come on. You are talking a couple hundred fps in velocity at most. Lets not split hairs here.
If you are so willing to give up velocity,why didn't you just buy a 30-06 instead of a 300win mag?Ammunition is much cheaper,and the recoil is less.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can also get the "sweet spot" for the ammo you will be using in your specific caliber there.
The supposed "sweet spot" wasn't the sweet spot for my rifle.It took considerable time and ammunition to fine tune the boss.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:49 AM

because there is adifference between 30-06 and 300 winnie . I would even say that there is probably no significant drop in velocity if you are using the Boss-CR since it does not have the ports and is a full 26".

I understand you don't like it, we are each entitled to our own opinions and that is why you dont see BOSS type systems on EVERY gun. But you do see BOSS systems and others just like it used even in competitive shooting, so its not that the system doesnt work it's whether you want to spend the time and in some cases money to get it perfect. My biggest gripe is when people say its too loud, b/c all BOSS equipped rifles come with the BOSS-CR since I believe 2000, which does not have any ports so it sounds just like any other rifle.

I'm not going to be able to convince you and you are not going to be able to convince me, I just want straight FACTS discussed and not opinions or misguided falsehoods.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would even say that there is probably no significant drop in velocity if you are using the Boss-CR since it does not have the ports and is a full 26".
I just want straight FACTS discussed and not opinions or misguided falsehoods.
The length of actual rifled barrel is not 26".Once the bullet leaves the rifled barrel and enters the CR,the bullet to barrel seal is broken,and the pressure is allowed to escape past the bullet no longer helping to increase velocity as it did in the rifled part of the barrel.That is a fact.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigwilly11189

because there is adifference between 30-06 and 300 winnie . I would even say that there is probably no significant drop in velocity if you are using the Boss-CR since it does not have the ports and is a full 26".

I understand you don't like it, we are each entitled to our own opinions and that is why you dont see BOSS type systems on EVERY gun. But you do see BOSS systems and others just like it used even in competitive shooting, so its not that the system doesnt work it's whether you want to spend the time and in some cases money to get it perfect. My biggest gripe is when people say its too loud, b/c all BOSS equipped rifles come with the BOSS-CR since I believe 2000, which does not have any ports so it sounds just like any other rifle.

I'm not going to be able to convince you and you are not going to be able to convince me, I just want straight FACTS discussed and not opinions or misguided falsehoods.

Dang littlewilly, for a NEWBIE you sure are making some waves...you talk about everyone having a right to their "opinion" but it seems when someone has an opinion different from your own you sure are quick to jump all over them
Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 AM

haha, sorry Garminator, I may be a newbie here but not a newbie to shooting, but yes I did get a little amped up. I don't mind if people like the Boss or not, but I just get peeved when people say they hate it b/c its too loud, when this obviously isnt the case anymore for the past 10 years or so with the BOSS-CR attachment. Oh and what is the old saying, its not the size that counts, but he motion in the ocean...
Old 10-30-2008, 03:39 PM

Have any of you actually compared the recoil of the same caliber with the BOSS vs without? I mean with something that actually is known to kick a little like a 7mm rem mag.

I have a browning 7mm rem mag right now with the BOSS system on it and the recoil is very little. My brother-in-law has a 7mm mag as well but his kicks a whole lot harder. I looked up the specs for the BOSS system online and how to tune it but I'm not sure that I've ever gotten the accuracy down perfect and found the "sweet spot". I'm planning now to get a new 30-06 or .270 wsm I think and it may be a Browning X-bolt that I get so I'm wondering whether or not I want to go with the BOSS again.

You guys are right about it making it very loud though. It is quite defening if you fire a few shots without any hearing protection. One or two shots when I'm actually hunting never seems to bother me much though. But like I said, my 7mm rem mag has very little recoil and is quite comfortable to shoot so to me that's a big plus even if it is loud. Maybe I'll just pack some little ear plugs to shove in my ear before I shoot my deer lol.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

i have a boss. It's loud. I just set it to a recommended setting when I got it and left it. It kills deer just as dead as any other gun. It looks cool though.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

NOT!