Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 to BOSS or not? >

to BOSS or not?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

to BOSS or not?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 AM

Default RE: to BOSS or not?

I own a .300 win mag a-bolt stalker with BOSS and I like it. I can use the muzzle break at the range to lessen the punishment and then when I go into the field I jsut screw on the BOSS-CR which doesnt have the ports and I dont have to worry about losing my hearing. I dont reload right now, but might soon b/c how expensive it is to shoot .300 winnie now. Been shooting my .17HMR instead . It's just one of those things, either you love it or hate it and everyone has their own opinion.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: CAM2

thanks for the replies. yesterday i bought the LHA-bolt SS .270 "without" the boss. for having a synthetic stock, this is a real nice rifle. i'm going to see how well it shoots factory loads. if i'm not satisfied then i'll get the loading dies and such. and try to find the time to develope a load.
You should like that rifle. I purchased an X-bolt recently without BOSS and I've already shot sub-moa with factory loaded ammo. Good luck! For the sample I retrieved look here (post 8):

http://hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2942974#
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Another NOT....btw, I own a 270 WSM A-Bolt W/O the BOSS. Loud and unnecessary for hunting purposes.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 PM

People have to get off the TOO LOUD bandwagon as you dont need the muzzlebreak for the BOSS to work, you can use the BOSS-CR which is the same thing without the ports, and its comes with the rifle.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another not here. I have 2 brownings without the boss and they are plenty accurate.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 PM

I own a Browning Bar II Safari in .300 Win. Mag. with the BOSS system.I got it to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with 180 grain bullets. When I took it hunting for the first time for Axis Deer, I ran across a herd of 10 - 15 animals. I shot the first one and was so stunned by the sound that I couldn't shoot at another one even if I wanted to! I purchased the "CR" BOSS also but have not shot the gun with it yet. If it works anything like the ported BOSS (minus the muzzle blast!) I am sure I will reach for it more often. With the ported BOSS its just plain punnishment to shoot it without hearing protection!

Axis
Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 AM

I know that if the rifle was purchased I think after around 2000 they all come with teh BOSS-CR now which I use in the field and use the break at the range, best of both worlds for my 300 winnie.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know that if the rifle was purchased I think after around 2000 they all come with teh BOSS-CR now which I use in the field and use the break at the range, best of both worlds for my 300 winnie.
Losing two inches of effective barrel because of the BOSS results in a loss of velocity.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 PM

After reading all of the comments about the BOSS system, I went to the browning web site and they have a video about the BOSS and how to tune it. You can also get the "sweet spot" for the ammo you will be using in your specific caliber there. When I purchased my gun it was second hand and I didn't even get an owners manual with it. I have fooled around with the settings of the BOSS and got a 1" group out of it on my .300 Win. Mag. Now that I have watched the video and found the "sweet spot", I will try to tune the groups even smaller with the "CR" attachment that I just purchased from Brownells.

Axis
Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Losing two inches of effective barrel because of the BOSS results in a loss of velocity.
Oh come on. You are talking a couple hundred fps in velocity at most. Lets not split hairs here. I have never chronographed the difference in velocity between my rifle with and without the muzzle break and then one that does not have the BOSS system. This is a moot point.

Quick Reply: to BOSS or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.