Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber for Bear protection! >

Caliber for Bear protection!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for Bear protection!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caliber for Bear protection!

Minimum hot loaded 357 mag and up. Your not going to stop an all outbear charge with a 40 cal. There have been more bear attack related deaths by black bear than any other species of bear.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 PM

The majority of whichno doubt beDumazz Slicks, in Parks, trying to get Bear Naturepictures whilst their young'uns hand feed 'em smores........

Might be off base with the hand fed smores,but I'm betting there's at least Dumazz Slicks involved.........
Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Dominant Buck

IMO...............Minimum of .338 cal
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

When I think bear protection, I think of grizzlies/brown bears, I agree most black bears will just run the other way, have hunted the NW for black beras, and had black bears just sit there and look at me, eventually we went the other way. I think black bears the big problem is getting between mama and her cubs, otherwise not much of a worry, but stuff does happen, bears won't always act "normal", least you can't count on them to. Course I had the big rifle in hand, either way I think that .44mag or .480 ruger would be my choices and pepper spray.

i'm not positive but i believe black bears are responsible for more human attacks than all other bears combined.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

also, if a human can fight through pepper spray i'm quite sure a bear on a mission can. if you are being charged, by the time the bear is within pepper spray range he/she is on top of you before the effect takes place. once he/she is on top of you, the bear does not need to see you to kill you. in my opinion, only an idiot (not calling anyone on here names) would attempt to stand their ground with pepper spray.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

When one decides to shoot in the cause of self defense it's never at 100 yards.....by definition self defense never happens at long range.......it's at 10 feet or there abouts!!!!

If it comes to that (and it's very unlikely) I really want to have something more substantial.....a .41 Magnum at a minimum.....

Trying to execute self defense with an underpowered firearm is a recipe for pissing off the bear.....I'd prefer to kill it!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Why are so many people scared of bears these days? I have seen mom with cubs and most of the time, she grunts and they head up a trail or a tree. I walk the other way, and call it a day.
There are more black bear attacks every year than all other types of bears combined. I know it's because there are more black bears, but I'm still gonna go prepared. I lived in Dallas for 33 years and was never attacked by a crackhead. I've lived in Denver for 12 years and have never been attacked by a crackhead. I still go prepared to protect myself from f***ing crackheadsevery single day.Most of the time when you see them you can just look at them and wave your arms and they run away!
I grew up with bears all around. I guess when you grow up with em, you generally don't worry so much about it.

I think its like people who have never been around rotts or dobermans. You get around them, and get frighened and panic, and they will bite ya. But you raise em, and show no fear, and generally, you would never have to worry about it.

I just don't think I could continue to go hunting if I was that frighened all the time.
Timmywasn't scared of them either.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

LMAO!!!!!!!!

What a tool that idiot was. If ever there was someone that needed to be taken out of the gene pool it was him.

The majority of whichno doubt beDumazz Slicks, in Parks, trying to get Bear Naturepictures whilst their young'uns hand feed 'em smores........

Might be off base with the hand fed smores,but I'm betting there's at least Dumazz Slicks involved.........
You mean like this idiot?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qexVfsl2Nms
Old 07-24-2008, 05:29 AM

Stupid is hard to fix.............
Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

how about Excaliber....suit of armor......i did read that black bear attacks are up....New Jersey folks getting jumped while lawmakers block bear season hunting

Quick Reply: Caliber for Bear protection!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.