HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Caliber for Bear protection! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/252696-caliber-bear-protection.html)

specialed43 07-13-2008 04:31 PM

Caliber for Bear protection!

I was checking out my hunting area yesterday when my Lab brought me back a Black Bear from the brush! I carry a S&W .40 cal. pistol with me. I had 180 grain Full Metal Jackets in it. The bear took off when it saw me and nothing more happened.

My questions for you guys are these. Is a .40 cal able to stop a bear? Should I use a different bullet? Should I get a different gun/caliber? Maybe, a revolver?

Thank you,

Ed

rmomn 07-13-2008 04:43 PM

RE: Caliber for Bear protection!

One of the best guns for protection from bears would be the 12 gauge shotgun with slugs. A bear can take a lot of energy.

A11en 07-13-2008 05:34 PM

I too carry a .40 cal pistol (Ruger p94) when I'm on our hunting property or hiking. I would never want to have to try to stop a bear with it, but it sure beats throwing rocks. I would think a few rounds at close range would change its course if it were charging, which is very unlikely.

MichaelT. 07-13-2008 05:53 PM

One heck of a bear gun is the Ruger .454 Alaskan .... Wow ....

Pawildman 07-13-2008 06:32 PM

............ever try jumping up and down, waving your arms and hollering????
Black bears are generally pretty easy to turn.

salukipv1 07-13-2008 07:09 PM

.44 mag or .480 ruger would be my choices before jumping up to a monster like the .500 S&W etc...really I think, the .44 would be my standard and the .480 kinda my big version, I'd take the .480 over the .454

I think pepper spray is probably the best way to go though. They tell you to bang pots n pans vs. firing a round into the air...and spray supposedly is more effective. I'd say have both, but up to you. Think a gun makes you feel safer....

driftrider 07-13-2008 07:14 PM

Now, bear in mind (I know, it's a bad pun, but I couldn't myself! ;) ) that I have no experience with bears as there are none in Iowa (that I know of), but it occurs to me that the "best" gun for bear defense is the biggest one you can comfortably carry all the time and still shoot accurately and quickly. I guess I could be wrong, but I didn't think that black bears were all that aggressive toward people, it's the brown, Kodiak and polar bears that you gotta worry about.

Mike

MichaelT. 07-13-2008 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

.44 mag or .480 ruger would be my choices before jumping up to a monster like the .500 S&W etc...really I think, the .44 would be my standard and the .480 kinda my big version, I'd take the .480 over the .454

I think pepper spray is probably the best way to go though. They tell you to bang pots n pans vs. firing a round into the air...and spray supposedly is more effective. I'd say have both, but up to you. Think a gun makes you feel safer....
Yup, I have a .480 in the target gray in a 7.5" and it is a sweet shooter...

MET

White Falcon 07-13-2008 07:48 PM

44.Mag 9.5 or 45 Long Colt 7.5

VAhuntr 07-13-2008 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: White Falcon

44.Mag 9.5 or 45 Long Colt 7.5

Nice looking rigs White Falcon!