Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber for Bear protection! >

Caliber for Bear protection!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for Bear protection!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Caliber for Bear protection!

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Why are so many people scared of bears these days? I have seen mom with cubs and most of the time, she grunts and they head up a trail or a tree. I walk the other way, and call it a day.
There are more black bear attacks every year than all other types of bears combined. I know it's because there are more black bears, but I'm still gonna go prepared. I lived in Dallas for 33 years and was never attacked by a crackhead. I've lived in Denver for 12 years and have never been attacked by a crackhead. I still go prepared to protect myself from f***ing crackheadsevery single day.Most of the time when you see them you can just look at them and wave your arms and they run away!
I grew up with bears all around. I guess when you grow up with em, you generally don't worry so much about it.

I think its like people who have never been around rotts or dobermans. You get around them, and get frighened and panic, and they will bite ya. But you raise em, and show no fear, and generally, you would never have to worry about it.

I just don't think I could continue to go hunting if I was that frighened all the time.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Site Bouncer

Nothing wrong with carrying some "bear defense" while in bear country. While I've never been attacked (had a brief up close encounter but no attack) my father hasonce and he squared off with another bruin in a death match on another occasion...both (I'm glad to say) ended up with dead black bears. When I hunted in bear country I carried a Ruger 44mag. I would consider a .40 cal a little on the weak side but it's way better than nothing at all!

When Ilast hunted in bear country it was some years ago and high power revolver cartridges were available but they weren't as common as they are now, some didn't even exist. I now own a 454 Casull and I'm really thinking about getting a S&W 500mag just because!

In bear country (especially Grizz) I'd carryat least a .44 mag or a .45 Colt loaded with at least 300gr hard cast bullets in the 1250+ fps range. I'd feel a whole lot better with a .454 Casull, 460 S&W Mag, 500 S&W Mag or any of the wildcat rounds common today .475 Linebaugh, .500 Linebaugh etc...

I just picked this little Ruger up a few months ago and it would be an ideal carry gun in black bear country or even Grizz if loaded up with some Buffalo Bore 325gr hard cast bullets @ 1325fps (as pictured) it's small and light but packs a super punch. Or you can load it down to regular .45Colt loads for plinking fun.

Here it is with wood grips...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I carry my Taurus .44Mag Revolver w/ 6inch ported barell.Theres more than enough dropping power with a good load. I have custom loads made for mine. The 460 and 454 are a bit much to carry all the time you take a walk in the woods.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:34 PM
bigcountry

Dadgone bigj, never took you for a scardycat.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

jump up and down and unload the gun in them
ORIGINAL: Pawildman

............ever try jumping up and down, waving your arms and hollering????
Black bears are generally pretty easy to turn.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

unload all but one round safe the last round for yourself god forbidded he get to you
Old 07-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: specialed43

I was checking out my hunting area yesterday when my Lab brought me back a Black Bear from the brush! I carry a S&W .40 cal. pistol with me. I had 180 grain Full Metal Jackets in it. The bear took off when it saw me and nothing more happened.

My questions for you guys are these. Is a .40 cal able to stop a bear? Should I use a different bullet? Should I get a different gun/caliber? Maybe, a revolver?

Thank you,

Ed
57mm recoilless rifle.............
Old 07-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Dadgone bigj, never took you for a scardycat.

LOL!

No, not skeered just following the six "P's"......Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

I don't expect to be attacked by a bear while hunting in bear country just as I don't expect to have my house broken into by a burglar either.....But that doesn't stop me from keeping a gun in a lock box on my night stand anyway.

Besides, that new little Ruger Ipicked up is way too cool to leave at home.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:38 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

Besides, that new little Ruger Ipicked up is way too cool to leave at home.
Nice little gun. Only thing I really don't care for is poisonious snakes. I wouldn't mind to carry one of those new "judges" for close prox snake protection.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Not allowed to carry a gun during bow season here, sure hope the big toothy don't get me....grins.

Quick Reply: Caliber for Bear protection!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.