Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trigger Problem, the Final Chapter, I hope >

Trigger Problem, the Final Chapter, I hope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trigger Problem, the Final Chapter, I hope

Old 07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Trigger Problem, the Final Chapter, I hope

Ok, based on some of the input in my original post, I went back to the drawing board on the trigger for the 700adl youth 243. I recalibrated the sear and found the creep can be removed but instead of backing off the sear 1/3 to 1/2 turn from point of fire, I had to back it off 1/4. Any more than that, the creep comes back. At the 1/4 mark and with 2 lbs of trigger pull, it seems to respond crisply. I am very pleased with it. I tested the gun by slamming the bolt a dozen times, toggling the safety and pulling the trigger. I did not have any inadvertent fires. I sealed the screw with nail polish and before putting it back together, I will run it thru further testing to be sure. Besides that, do you see a problem with the sear being backed out 1/4 vs. 1/3 to 1/2 as recommended in the article?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:33 AM

Default RE: Trigger Problem, the Final Chapter, I hope

I've followed your saga here Tealboy, and even asked you if it was an X Mark Pro trigger...you didn't answer.

Since you've stated somewhere thatyou just bought this rifle a week ago and it was new, I'll assume it IS the X Mark Pro trigger which is what Remington has switched overto, replacing the old triggers that you've found instructions onfor making adjustments. You can verify if it is the X Mark Pro if it is of stainless construction and has hex drive screws instead of slotted screw on the adjustments.

This trigger is slightly different in design but basically set up the same as the old ones regarding trigger adjustment. The tag that came tied to the trigger guard plainly says that it is "gunsmith adjustible" for "trigger weight". Sear engagement and over travel are not intended to be adjusted and the screws are staked in place.

Since you've had quite a bit of trouble with this, and in my opinion recieved "advice" that shouldn't have been given, re; adjusting the new ones with instructions on the old ones....I stronglyurge you to take this rifle to a reputable gunsmith and haveit put back to factory specs and THEN have the trigger weight adjusted since that was your intial complaint with the trigger.

Spend a few bucks, get it right, even have the smith show you what he's doing so you can know what to do, and consider this all a lesson learned.........

As an aside, the X Mark Pro I have cleanly adjusted down to1 3/4 pounds with a minimal adjustment to the weight screw, no bumps or creep. They are good triggers but do yourself a favor and get it done right.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

1/3 to 1/2 is a range, depending on how far you turned the sear engagement screw out in the first place will determine how far you need to adjust to get it back. Every trigger and every gun will be a little different due to minor variations in the machining, fit and finish. It sounds like you got it but if your not comfortable take it to a smith.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hopefully this is the end of your saga. Here is my take on it. If your unfamiliar with a trigger design or its function then by all means take it to a gusnmith for modification. I emphasize this especially with a Remington trigger. I have screwed with these triggers for a long time and when you have to play with overtravel and sear adjustments and not just pull weight it is just best to give it to a gunsmith . Those adjustments are not for an amateur tinkerer to fool with. It's not expensive and in the long run cheaper then the consequences of a dangerous trigger.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I adjusted 1 of mine and taken the rest to the smith. For the price he charges it just isnt worth my time and trouble to tear the gun down and his turned out quite a bit better than mine.....probably the 40+ years of experience he has..lol. As long as hes still kickin I wont be messin with anymore.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Rifle Loony, sorry. I did not know how to determine which trigger i had but based on the above, I have the old trigger, not the new one. This gun was a leftover. The new version of this gun is called STS or something like that.

I will test my safety a little more, but i just pulled the trigger again and it feels great. Very smooth, crisp and at 2lbs, i couldn't be happier. As far as a gunsmith, I don't have anyone nearby that i feel is a qualified gunsmith. There are likely some in town, but no one within a convenient drive. Plus, i would have told him 2.5 lbs but after fiddling with it, that was still too much for me, so i was able to fix it, along with the sear adj in a matter of minutes.

thx to all.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Good on you...

Be safe...............
Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Besides that, do you see a problem with the sear being backed out 1/4 vs. 1/3 to 1/2 as recommended in the article?
Just do those recommended safety tests again once in awhile!