Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trigger, is this a problem? >

Trigger, is this a problem?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trigger, is this a problem?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Trigger, is this a problem?

I requested info on adj the trigger on my 700adl youth 243 and received some great articles. I made the adjustments, though the process took way longer than i would have guessed, tweaking and ensuring safety. anyway, i found the trigger stop hardest to find the sweet spot but eventually did. I set the spring at 2.5lbs and am satisfied with it. The thing that doesn't seem right is, once cocked, the trigger has play in it, about 1 to 1.5 milimeters, then it is ready for the slow squeeze. In other words, initially, i begin to pull and i feel the trigger slip back a tad before it is entirely firm and ready for pulling. I have tried tinkering with the trigger stop but to no avail. I don't think it can be the engagement screw, that does something different. Then, you have the spring tension screw, which is pretty simple in it's purpose, so that leaves the Stop. No matter what I do, i can get rid of this play and that bumpy spot. If i tighten it too much, the trigger won't even engage. Any ideas? this is my first trigger adjustment and though the poundage is good, this bump is bad.

I tested my browning and that is a sweet crisp 2 lb trigger, unlike the rem. Pls help
Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trigger, is this a problem?

I've had 2 trigger jobs done on Rem 700's by a gunsmith. Both are set at 3lbs. There is no play in the trigger at all. Just a crisp click and that is it. I saw your post earlier and read the links that were posted up. I just got another Rem 700 BDL in .243 but was afraid to try what you did. Don't worry you'll have a lot of help here, after some of these experienced guys chime in. I'm very interested in how you fix your problem. Please post your results.

Good Luck Bryan
Old 06-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your stop screw only stops the trigger after it breaks.

If your sear engagement is set correctly, there should be little if any creep in the trigger before it breaks.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The sear engagement is not set correctly. Turn that screw in until the firing pin falls and then back out 1/2 turn and back in 1/8 to 1/4 turn and you should be go to go.

****Remember you need to double, triple and quadruple check to be sure the gun will not fire through impact or the bolt closing with the safety off. If you're not sure, it's woth the 20-25 bucks to have it adjusted by a gunsmith!****
Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM

Is this an X Mark Pro trigger?

If so, it makes a difference.......
Old 07-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

I checked the sear setting several times, turning the screw slowly until it fired, then backed it out 1/3 turn as noted in instructions.If you think my sear setting is causing the creep, would you guess i need to tighten the screw or back it out more?

I had the most trouble determining where to set the trigger stop in the process. what does that screw really do and why won't the trigger pull if the screw is set too tight?

i am comfortable with determining if it will fire. The key, as noted, is to thoroughly test by slamming the bolt repeatedly and running through such scenarios. I did this until i was convinced it would not fire by accident.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the most trouble determining where to set the trigger stop in the process. what does that screw really do and why won't the trigger pull if the screw is set too tight?
You want to set this screw so that it stops the trigger right after it breaks. To simplify the explaination, the overtravel screw is simply a jam screw that stops the rearward motion of the trigger. If you set it too deep, it will stop the trigger motion before the trigger is allowed to be pulled far enough back for the sear to release. Removing overtravel helps to remove any added movement that the gun might make at the moment that it is fired.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you think my sear setting is causing the creep, would you guess i need to tighten the screw or back it out more?
One of the problems with the 700 triggers that I've seen over the last few years is that the sear surfaces aren't as nicely polished as they used to be. A little bit of roughness or if the geometry is off a little can cause a creepy gritty trigger no matter how well you adjust it. If you aren't happy with the trigger, taking it to a gunsmith to have the surfaces stoned smooth and trued up can make a world of difference, or you can buy an aftermarket trigger to replace it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Yup, it's the sear engagement screw and if you've done the 1/4-1/2 turn out after it breaks and it's still sloppy I'd stop tinkerin with it. I take it to a good smith or just live with the trigger play.

Brett
Old 07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

well, perhaps this won't work, but i just bought the gun a week ago. will remington ship me a new trigger if i show a receipt? I bought it from a licensed dealer, not a gunsmith, so i can't take it back to the store, but perhaps this is a warranty item.

Quick Reply: Trigger, is this a problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.