Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which of these long range rifles would you pick?? (also 700p update in here) >

Which of these long range rifles would you pick?? (also 700p update in here)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which of these long range rifles would you pick?? (also 700p update in here)

Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Which of these long range rifles would you pick?? (also 700p update in here)

For those of you that remember my earlier post about the rem 700P, just wanted to update on what's going on. First I wanted to thank everyone who answered and helped out, it really did help. What i'm doing now is selling it back to the dealer, just can't live with that fit and finish and the rough action. I lost 300 on the Remington, just like ripping 300 dollars up pretty much since i paid a 1000 and the dealer offered me 700 to buy it back. I’m using the $700 I get for it as a deposit for one of the following rifles that will have a smoother action and better fit and finish.

Anyway, here are the rifles with their respective price, the prices of all are about $1500 from impact guns. Unfortunately none of the local dealers have these and I personally don't know anyone who owns them, so I have to order them just based on what I see and read online. If YOU had to get one which one would you get and why? (will be putting a leupold mark 4 scope on it).

Armalite AR-30
Price: $1404
http://www.armalite.com/ItemFo.....45b91324c3

Kimber 8400 Tactical
Price: $1550
http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/tactical/8400_tactical/

FN A1 SPR
Price: $1520
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/produ.....id=FNM0008

Tikka T3 Tactical
Price: $1350
http://www.berettausa.com/prod.....tseries=27

Also if you know others that I might have missed around the 1500 range, let me know. I'm looking for quality fit and finish in black, reliability, smooth action, and of course accuracy! (even though a lot of these will be more accurate than I am) Once I decide and buy one of these, i'll post pics and a range report on this forum.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Which of these long range rifles would you pick?? (also 700p update in here)

By far the FN A1 SPR. Finest gun on the list. I can get the one I shoot to shoot rocks moa. No fouling whatsoever. Little heavy however.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which of these long range rifles would you pick?? (also 700p update in here)

First off, why don't you just build your own !!! If you have a Remington 700 action laying around or have one that you don't use much get it souped up. A new barrel, in some get cartridge not offered by factories... get it to a great gunsmith, new barrel, true the action, new Jewell trigger, etc.. it will out shoot all of the above factory rifles... What do you want to do with it, target or hunting or a little of both...??? There are some awesome cartridges out today that make factory availables ones look sick..
BARREL...30 inche Keiger Stainless, reamed and installed $500-600
TRIGGER...JEWELL...$200
True your action....$200
You could even get a great aftermarket stock....another $400...

YOUR Still at your $1500.00

JUST BUILD YOUR OWN .... how about 6mmX47 LAPUA...

http://www.6mmbr.com JUST GO TO THIS SITE AND READ ALL ABOUT WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE SHOOTING WORLD.... TONS and TONS of information
Old 06-15-2008, 06:36 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Frank in the Laurels
YOUR Still at your $1500.00
And you still could have got a FN-SPR that is a better gun. I have put together a few guns in my life, and said the same thing to my buddy when he bought the FN. After he got it, and I fondled the gun for a while, I promptly went to gunbroker and put bids down.

And it has resale, a custom loses over half.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of those you listed I would pick the FN as well. However, I would have used the Remington 700 you had andbuilt what I wantedlike Frank in the Laurels stated.You then could have sold the factory stock, barrel, and any other parts from the "old" 700 that were not used or kept them and built you a beater rifle on down the road.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would of at least shot the 700P before giving up on it...a little gunsmith work could clean up the action...and you'd still be at least $300 cheaper then buying a new gun...

Old 06-15-2008, 11:25 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

I would of at least shot the 700P before giving up on it...a little gunsmith work could clean up the action...and you'd still be at least $300 cheaper then buying a new gun...
Yea, I agree. William Ball (oneshot on here) or his dad offers a 700P accuriation package for around 500 dollars, and will remove the barrel, recut the crown, set headspace dead nuts on, polish the whole reciever rails and all, square the bolt lugs and bolt face, set your triggerand rebed the whole shooting match. Don't quote me, but think they also verify by shooting.

I have seen his handy work and was impressed with the outcome. You lost 300 but for 200 more, I think he would have done you right.

I know he does work for the NC State.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot everything but the AR-30, but have read nothing but good it.
The Tika is my bottom pick, while a decent shooter, it lacks in having a good quality stock, to me it's cheap plastic and the Tika suffers from aftermarket accessories.

The Kimber and FN are basically pretty darn close, they are both using a Winchester 70 CFR type action and use good quality Mc Milllan stocks. Kimber is using their own barrels, which in the rifles I have shot are shooters. The FN barrels are chrome lined are rather easy to clean, well...I'll just say they are a snap to clean. The Kimbercan be had in theA5 stock configuration, while depending on what FN you get, A3's and A5's can be had. Detachable box magazine models and fixed are going to be a FN , while the Kimber can be had only with a fixed floor plate. While onn the topic, different bottom metal should be available for both, ie Accuracy International type removable mags, Williams etc.

Another choice in a factory gun, which IMHO is the best one would be a Sako TRG M42 or M22 depending on caliber. They are slightly over your budget at $2500-$3500 but are set up to shoot out of the box and are very adjustable.

With all this said, the Kimber and FN and Sako are most of the time hard to find. FN's are probably the easiest. Right now , Kimber is having a problem I beleive with Mc Millan supplying enough stocks and Sako's shipments into the US through Beretta is spotty at best. Very few TRG's are entering this country. You might want to check verbly with Impact Guns as I have dealt with them and there are alot of things they dont actually have on hand, another words, they order as they see fit.

You can always go custom but the better the smith's the longer the wait. I have several of them but as I am getting older I dont like waiting and if youchoosethe right maker, you can get quality guns that shoot withthe best of themoften for the same cost and no waiting.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 AM

I have the Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua and cannot say enough about it. There are a few guys in the forums here that know how I feel. I bought mine about 4 years ago while I was living in Ca. I found it to have exceptional out of box accuracy shooting a best group of maybe 1/4 inch and a worst of about 1 inch. I won't say that the smallest was consistent, cause if I did, I would be the firs to say I was full of ****. None the less, under the right conditions, and you as the shooter doing everything right, all the fundamantals of shooting, the rifle can perform to that level without issue. My only grip out of box wiht the rifle was the trigger. It came from the factory much heavier than I like, somewhere between 6-8 lbs. I was able to have an armorer I know adjust the trigger, and it is now around 3 lbs, and will consistantly shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA, and rarely outside of 1".
Hope that helps some. Good Luck.

KDV