Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!! >

Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

Ok. The money is saved up for my "go to" deer and hog hunting rifle. I wound up selling the Remington XCR that didn't "fit" me. So, now I'm without a large caliber hunting rifle. I've looked at a ton of rifles and asked tons of question (thank you all so much for your opinions and experience).
I've narrowed my choices down to 3 rifles. All have things I love about them, and things I'm not so sure about.
First, the left handed Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker. Great reputation for accuracy, I REALLY LIKE the 60 degree bolt throw, and the gun "fits" me very well.
BUT......every single one I've looked at has a floorplate that has some "play" in it. Even with the detachable magazine clipped in. When closed and the floorplate latch locks things into place, there in still about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of room. Like it's still not closed securely. I've asked multiple people about this and the response I got from everyone was "Every A Bolt I've ever seen was like that"...and "I promise it's in there securely". "Thats just the way Brownings floorplates are".

HUH?????

Is that how they really ALL fit? Seems like the "clank clank" produced from the movement of the floorplate might be a problem if you were up close and personal with a deer. Not to mention it seems like the only negative I can find in the A Bolts build quality.
Can this be "tightened up", or should I just accept it?

Next, the left handed A Bolt Medallion. Wow! What a beautifull gun! Same great "fit" and short bolt throw.... But same "play" in the floorplate. Also, I worry about the glossy finish on the stock scaring game away. Can that easily be removed in place of an oil finish like Brownings Hunter model by a gunsmith. And by "easily", I mean without a lot of expense.

Last, the Left handed Ruger Hawkeye stainless/laminate. SUPER solid build like I'm used to from Ruger and their floorplate closes and locks in place very securely. I assume since it's not a detachable magazine rifle.
My only concern with the Ruger is possibly having to buy the rifle AND have the barrel floated and the action bedded to get it to shoot as well as the A Bolts

Ok. There's my picks. Help me out folks. This is a tough decision!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

I would pick the A-Bolt Medallion and hunt with a purdy gun. I like the looks of the medallion and would not ever worry about shine spooking game.

Some Ruger rifles shoot great and some do not. I have owned two that shoot great and four that did not shoot well.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Browning A - bolt classic ,
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own 3 ruger rifles and have never had a minutes trouble with any of them, Also all 3 shoot MOA. I wouldnt bother me to buy another one. I have never owned a browning, but have shot several of them. To me it seems that the recoil is lighter on a browning vs ruger with the same loads. All the brownings have shot fine as well. I dont think you would go wrong with either brand.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want to dull the finish on a medallion then why not just buy a hunter? Same rifle and save a couple hundred bucks.

I know that you did not include the X-bolt but I would pick it long before the A-bolt. There are so many mechanical and designadvantages to the X-bolt that it honestly makes the A-bolt obsolete. It has the same 60* bolt throw, a better designed and trimmerbolt, a much better and stronger extractor, a more adjustable trigger, a center feed magazine instead of that horrid magazine on the A-bolt,a slimmer and more trim receiver, and a better recoil pad.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three fantasatic rifles.

First of all see if a dealer will allow you to load the magazine and put the magazine in the rifle. I think most of the play will go away when you load the magazine.

I also do not like the high gloss finish. However I really like the look of wood. Refinishing the rifle with a hand rubbed finish is a great idea if you like every other part of the rifle.

IMO the Browning A-Bolt is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles available. For the price I would actually rank it as the most accurate out of the box factory rifle. I have shot a bunch of them. And they all shot great.

I have handled the new Ruger, but I have not shot one. So I can not comment on the accuracy abilities of the new Ruger. However I can comment on the older Ruger's. IMO they are the least accurate out of the so called out of the box rifles. However they are highly dependable, and built very solid. I also like their actions. However for some reason they are just not as accurate. However the accuracy is more than acceptable for hunting, just not to my standards. Tom.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

As far as the X Bolt goes, I would grab one in an instant IF they made them in a left handed model....along with a Kimber, Sako, ect.
I hate being backwards...LOL.
And 1person recomended the Hunter model. I've actually thought about that too but can't seem to find one that doesn't look sad and homely. I know it's the same gun as the Medallion, but......

On a side note......while the Remington XCR and CDL stocks (straight comb) don't feel that "snazzy" to me, the BDL version with it's monty carlo cheekpiece feels VERY good. Just haven't been able to find anyone with a lefty model even available to order. I would still want to loose the glossy finish on the stock like the Medallion though.

If anyone can think of a left handed model rifle I haven't thought of, please let me know. If it helps, I've already checked out the Savage line as well as the Tikka rifles and can't seem to warm up to them.

Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming!!!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know how you feel about the TC Encore rifle. However I bought one with the Left handed thumbhole stock. This is the most comfortable rifle I have ever shot or owned in my life. And I have owned a bunch of them. I can also shoot the rifle better than any rifle I have ever owned. You should try to find one and handle it first. It really is a dandy. Tom.

You can also get a nice Left handed stock from Richard's microfit, and have it made to your specs.

Manners also makes a nice LH stock for a Remington action that fits and feels very well.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what caliber you have to have.Here is a Sako in .308 LH that is on gunsamerica.They have a few more different calibers also.Also have a pretty good selection of NIB tika left hands in various calibers.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

The Ruga'....

Quick Reply: Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.