Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg 835 Combo Turkey/Waterfoul...opinions? >

Mossberg 835 Combo Turkey/Waterfoul...opinions?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 835 Combo Turkey/Waterfoul...opinions?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mossberg 835 Combo Turkey/Waterfoul...opinions?

Got a B-day coming up in July, and my wife just asked me what I want. I've been considering getting a camo-ed shotgun with the intent to finally try turkey hunting. I also want to try my hand at goose hunting next fall. I don't want anything too fancy (read expensive), because I'd loathe the thought of dragging a $1000+ gun through the brush or dropping it in 10' of murky water. I'm going to stay away from the Remington 870 Express, because the last two I've owned were less than satisfactory, and I don't want a Wingmaster for the above reasons and because they are pretty shiny and would be a dead givaway to the gobblers. I found the Mossberg 835 combo gun that comes in camo with both a 24" bbl for the turkeys and a 28" barrel multi-choke barrel for everything else. The barrels are both ported and backbored with vent-ribs, and the turkey barrel has adjustable rifle-like fiber-optic sights. The gun has a 3.5" reciever and bbls and in camo dipped. The gun runs about $425 street price, which seems pretty good for so many features. So my question is is this shotgun a great value, or is it 7lbs of soon-to-be scrap metal? And please no "Mossbergs suck...buy a whatever" answers, unless you are willing to elaborate on why. I'd prefer not to have this degenerate into a Ford vs. Chevy type argument.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 835 Combo Turkey/Waterfoul...opinions?

I have my 835 for 11 plus years without any problems. Mine came with just the whitebead for a sight, I just replaced it withthe fiber optic sights, also I replaced the factory turkey choke (nothing wrong with it) with a INDIAN CREEK TURKEY CHOKE. Get the 835, it will serve you well
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 AM

I have an early model 835...junk....nothing but problems...there customer service is bad also, took 1 1/2 months to return an email..Search problems with the 835 on google...You will hear several storys of the firing pin not hitting hard enough to set the round off. Mine has this problem also. My advice is to spend a little money, could save you in the long run.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I emailed and called there customer service without a problem, they where great. I explained to the guy how my 835 came with the white bead sight, the shotgun is 11 plus years old, I saw a current 835 with the fiber optic sights and I liked them,& I would like to order a set. He replied with no problem, I will ship them out FREE OF CHARGE. I got it a week later and I broke the rear sight trying to place it on (snap on type) I called once more, he said ok no problem, once more FREE OF CHARGE. The 835 was made for turkey and waterfowl hunting, the shotgun will serve you well. There many models to choose from, I like the 24" barrel for turkey
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

I had a 835 for two years and had to send it in twice for repairs. Both times the action would not lock into battery if I remember correctly. The customer service was good and I got a free choke tube each time I sent it in.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine worked flawlessly but I was never happy with it. Rattled to much for my tastes and didn't shoot straight so I had to put a sight on it.

I felt like it kicked really hard but that's probably because it didn't fit me right.

Tom