Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo opinions >

Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo opinions

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo opinions

Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo opinions

My oldest son, who found girls and fell in love several years ago and put his hunting on hold, just got engaged and has now decided to get back into hunting and become my hunting buddy again. As the owner of several Remington shotguns for small game ( two 20 ga 870's, 20 ga 1187, 16 ga 1100) and a 12 ga Remington 870 Express slug gun for deer and extra full for turkey, I have gotten permission from my boss (the wife) to buy a new gun as I'm passing my Remington 870 on to my son. I have to move on this quickly in case she changes her mind. I've been looking at the 3 1/2 inch Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo due to price and functionality (it will be my deer slug gun and turkey gun). My Remington 870 is very accurate with the cantalever mounted scope and it throws a pretty nice pattern for turkey. I've been looking at the Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo to cover both turkey and deer. A Remingon Express combo, with a second barrel purchased separately, would be twice the cost of the Mossberg 835 combo. I am looking for opinions on the Mossberg 835, both pro and con, as having been primarily a Remington owner for the past 30 years, it's difficult considering change but economics is an issue when the difference is several hundred dollars between Remington and Mossberg.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 835 deer/turkey combo opinions

You need to pick one up to see if you like the way it fits you, the balance, heft, etc. The gun is reliable. I've never had a problem with my Mossbergs.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have very limited use of shotguns so take my info lightly. Actually the Moss 835 Turkey is the only one I have ever owned. I have shot a few remingtons though. I don't really like my Mossberg very much. It makes a lot of noise in the field from the rattle of the pump. I also have never been able to get it to pattern very well. Most of the shot that I have used is Winchester Premium Turkey loads.

I have been looking to pick up the Benelli shot gun in the same price range. You might want to take a look at it.

Tom
Old 02-02-2005, 02:12 PM

I have a Mossberg 835 turkey gun in the hardwoods camo and I really like it. No, its not a benelli or anything, but it is very reliable, shoots good, and fits me very good. It is a little heavy, but I like that when shooting 3 1/2" turkey loads. These are supposed to be the best patterning turkey guns because of the overbored barrel. The only thing I'm going to do is get a Sims recoil pad for mine. The 835 will do anything you want it to do.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Oh, if you want a slug barrel, you better get the combo and save a lot of money that way. The rifled barrel for mine is $243 in camo and has no rifle sights, so ad to that $243 the price for a scope and rings, too. I was going to buy the barrel, but for almost $400 I decided not to and bought an Omega. I also have a mossberg 500 20 gauge and it shoots slugs good through a rifled barrel, so I'd say the 835 would as well.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:26 PM

I have owned an 835 for 15 years now and it has never let me down. I do not however, own the slug barrel for it. I just use it as a Turkey and Waterfowl gun. If you plan on shooting the big 3 1/2"s, be ready for a big difference in recoil from your 870. Mossbergs are notorious for whomping recoil for some reason. I think it has alot to do with the way they fit most of the time.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 PM

So far with the short time since I asked for opinions, the consenses is positive for the Mossberg 835. I have heard about the recoil being a little rough but I don't plan on shooting more than once at Mr. Long Beard and if I get a bloody nose, it won't be the first time. I'm not worried about slugs as I use 2 and 3/4 inch sabotts which I have found are more than enough out to 100 yards. As far as fit and feel, I have shouldered one at Cabelas and it felt good. It was a little on the heavy side but I like that for recoil. I do like the price of the combo being under $400 at Walmart, which Cabelas will match.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Hello jb54,

I have to agree with 12Pointer.....I have the same set-up and no complaints! Mount the gun to your shoulder with both eyes
opened picking a target close-by,now close your LEFT eye.Is the barrel pointing at the target? If not, you have a Left dominate
eye.........you would have to use shooting glasses and place a small sticker to cover your Left pupil or go to Left handed gun.
If you are Left handed reverse above. Maybe that's why you are having a hard time patterning.
It could be gun fit or wrong choke............it could be flinching!!!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:34 AM

Rob : Im thinking of trying thr new Hevi-shot out on turkey this year threw my 835 But Will this hevier shot eat the inside of my barrel up Or detroy my ultra choke since its made for lead ??

one other question , Do you use a 28" barrel for birds & 26" for turkey.....

Thanks
Old 02-26-2005, 06:38 AM

Also Mossberg has a nice combo out if anyones interested, I hunt NY & only use shotgun in this area , But have no muzzl;eloader to use During Muzzle season, So Mossberg has a Combo 500 50 cal muzzleloader barrel & fully rifled 12 gauge barrel on sale at moment for $310.00 From my moss dealer, Gonna go get it & see how this works out...