Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included) >

I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Old 06-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Remmy, like so many other companies (not only in the gun business) has chosen to cut quality to remain competitivly priced and profitable! Remington actions are still good but they've cut corners everywhere else! Most truely good custom rifles are built on an older Winchester action and better yet, a Mauser action!
As far as production guns, Remmy has gone way down!
Custom guns in a Tikka or Savage?
NO!
But, they can hold their own against Big Green in a production rifle!
Well, I just don't necessarily agree with that. For what it's worth. Go check the websites of the custom makers and find out what they are using for actions in a lot of their guns. Sure, some are using Mausers. Some of the biggest are building their own. But by and large, a lot are using the 700 Rem. action. Incidentally, have you tried lately to find a 700 SA in the used gun racks?? Good luck. LA's are plentiful, but the SA's are hard to find. Gotta be a reason for this, don't you think?? The last SA I bought for a donor action cost me $450. But I got the action and all the bottom metal with it. A new action will run you around $400 and doesn't even include the recoil lug. No bottom metal either.
Bottom line as I see it..... Remington's are good strong actions. They are easier to get bedded correctly than some others. Ones who do some of their own work understand this. Ever bed the recoil lug on a 77 Ruger?? It is a totally different ballgame. I've done Winchesters, Rugers, Savages , Remingtons and Mausers. I"ve been able to get most of them to shoot decent. I still feel that the Rems are far easier to bed and get right. That, however, is just my opinion , and you know what they say about opinions...........
Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 PM
DM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Remmy, like so many other companies (not only in the gun business) has chosen to cut quality to remain competitivly priced and profitable! Remington actions are still good but they've cut corners everywhere else! Most truely good custom rifles are built on an older Winchester action and better yet, a Mauser action!
NO!
Well, I just don't necessarily agree with that. For what it's worth. Go check the websites of the custom makers and find out what they are using for actions in a lot of their guns. Sure, some are using Mausers. Some of the biggest are building their own. But by and large, a lot are using the 700 Rem. action. Incidentally, have you tried lately to find a 700 SA in the used gun racks?? Good luck. LA's are plentiful, but the SA's are hard to find. Gotta be a reason for this, don't you think?? The last SA I bought for a donor action cost me $450. But I got the action and all the bottom metal with it. A new action will run you around $400 and doesn't even include the recoil lug. No bottom metal either.
Bottom line as I see it..... Remington's are good strong actions. They are easier to get bedded correctly than some others. Ones who do some of their own work understand this. Ever bed the recoil lug on a 77 Ruger?? It is a totally different ballgame. I've done Winchesters, Rugers, Savages , Remingtons and Mausers. I"ve been able to get most of them to shoot decent. I still feel that the Rems are far easier to bed and get right. That, however, is just my opinion , and you know what they say about opinions...........
Pa,

That's my opinion too... I'd have no problem buying one of todays 700's...

DM
Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 PM
bigcountry

You know I can't say much. First PSS I got, I shot it like 500 times, and it was rough as heck. I ended up ruining the barrel trying to smooth it out. So I had it rebuilt with a new krieger barrel, and rebedded, action squared up, lugs lapped, etc.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

NO!
Pa,

That's my opinion too... I'd have no problem buying one of todays 700's...

DM
DM,

Me neither and in fact I did purchase one of todays 700's. I ordered a 700 CDL, 270 Winchester inMarch of this year. The fit and finish of the stock, metal, and blueingis excellent. My only complaint was the trigger, however a gunsmith friend took care of that for $25. I really should not say the trigger was disappointing as I actually expected it to be much worse than it was.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Shoulda bought a HOWA and took your woman out for the weekend with the rest. Then you'd had a rifle that would shoot and maybe got laid for the same money.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Looks like everyone is off topic lol. Well I have some updated pictures. This is what I meant when i said the action is rough and is scratching the cases. Here are before and after pictures.

Before.

http://s2.screenshots.cc/upload/7dfd0dd3.jpg

http://s2.screenshots.cc/upload/2c828835.jpg

After

http://s2.screenshots.cc/upload/1ca1f3c3.jpg

http://s2.screenshots.cc/upload/64e1099e.jpg

http://s2.screenshots.cc/upload/64e1099e.jpg

Yes this is the correct caliber!! So that's not an explanation for why it is getting scratches, so is this normal?? I can live with the fit and finish, but this action not being smooth and scratchign cases thign is killing me. Still not a single round fired from this gun yet.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Oh and sorry about the innappropriate images on the picture hosting site, it was the only free site that let me upload all the images at once. Hope no one got offended lol.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Remington PSS in 300 Win. Mag. It is one of the best shooting rifles I have, and one of the best shooting rifles I have ever seen. I am a bit disappointed in the finish on mine also, but after I shot the rifle the finish was no longer an issue.

I realize you read about all the incredible groups that people shoot(on the forums). But if the truth be told alot of these groups are bunk. I have had a lot of shooters tell me how incredible their rifles shoot. When I go to the range with them all I hear is excuses why they did not shoot a 1/2" five shot group that day. All the veteran shooter's out there know that a five shot 1/2" group is something to celebrate about.

There is no comparison between the PSS and the Savage stocks. The PSS is definitely superior. In order to get a comparable stock on a Savge their price is also $1,000. And the top quality Tika Varminters are also close to that price(with a plastic magazine??).

I can also tell you for sure that if you need to sell your rifle. The Remington will sell faster, and hold more of its value.

Why do some guys bash Remington so much?? There are so many of them out there, and they just keep shooting.

Have you determined what is causing the scratches on the cases?? If it is the feed rails I would not be real concerned, but if it is the chambering then I would definitley have it looked at. Tom.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 AM

hey tom did u have the same issues as mine or no? Check out the pics above ur post, does ur pss do that?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at the pictures. If you mean the scratches on the rifle, and unfinished spots in the stock-then yes mine also did that. I have noticed some small scratches on brass over the years, but not as pronounced as the scratches on your brass. But then again, what is the cause?? Tom.

Quick Reply: I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.