HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/248628-im-pissed-brand-new-remington-700-sucks-pics-included.html)

msmforever69 06-07-2008 06:53 PM

I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

So I just dropped a 1000 on this rifle alone. It is a brand new model 700 police in 300 win mag. I haven't even fired one round from it yet. It came to the local ffl dealer straight from the factory, and when they opened the box it was kind of dusty. There was dust on the gun. I wasn't too happy, but I figured I'll take it home and clean it. So i took it home. After closer inspection I realized that the fit and finish is far worse than I thought. The stock and barrel get scratches so easily, i can scrape the barrel or stock with my nail lightly and the scratch will be there permanently. Next, I decided to see how the action is. It felt kind of round but I figured it would smooth out eventually. So I chambered a round, and ejected it. It didn't feel too smooth, and the bigger probelm is that the action was scratching the cases! The round would come out with the cartidge scratched. I'm frustrated because after spending a 1000 this is not what I expected. My ruger 10/22 and my 400 dollar savage have a fit and finish that is far better.

Here are pictures of the crappy fit and finish.

(pictures edited due to issue with picture hosting site)

Here are before and after pictures of what the gun does to the cartridges, the first two are the rounds before I chamber and eject them and the rest are after they are ejected and scratched up by the action. Remember, no rounds were fired, i just loaded and unloaded.

(pictures edited due to issue with picture hosting site)

MagnumMan308 06-07-2008 07:22 PM

RE: I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Wipe the spots marked up by you fingernail with an oily rag, and I think you'll be supprised. As for the brass, i've found PF rifles to be rather 'rough' on brass, but its nothing that doesent clean up with a tumble.

I hate to be contrary, but I dont see anything there to get too worked up about. Put some glass on it, and shoot it. Then report back. I think you'll take ona different perspective once you do.

TimberCreek 06-07-2008 08:06 PM

First mistake, buying a Remington!

falcon 06-07-2008 08:07 PM

Seen something like this on another website. Notmany folks buy those guns and they sit around gathering dust.Your gun has that substitute for a good blue job that many guns have today. The scratches will wipe off with an oily rag. The action is crappy because of the metal coating. It will get smoother over time.

Any gun with police in the namesells at a premium price.

bigcountry 06-07-2008 09:49 PM

It appears to be scratches but its just because its parkerized, not blued. Take a oily rag and you it will go away. I have a few PSS's, and that finish can take a lickin a whole lot better than blueing can.

You spent this much money on a PSS and didn't know it was parkerized or what parkerization is?

VAhuntr 06-07-2008 09:50 PM

Not trying to be a jerk, but why did you take the rifle home with you if you were not happy with it whenthe box was opened? The two dealers that I order firearms from make sure I am happy with any weapon I order before any money changes hands or any paperwork is filled out.

msmforever69 06-07-2008 10:02 PM

I was awake of the parkerized finish, but not that it would get scratches so easily. Wiping it with an oily rag makes it temporarily go away, but then it comes back when oil is dried up. That's not the main issue, the main issue is the action scratching the cases.

I took this home because I figured if everything else was great, i can ignore the few scratches here and there. But unfortunately after I chambered some rounds, I found out how rough the action feels and how it scratches the cases.

Briman 06-08-2008 12:46 AM

The scratches on the brass most likely come from roughness or a bur on the feed rails- its doesn't really hurt anything.

btw, the advertisements on you picture hosting site aren't workplace friendly:D

Hairtrigger 06-08-2008 05:08 AM

If the dealer does infact buy directly from the factory and not a wholesaler, he will have no problem sending the rifle back for repairs to make you happy.

bigcountry 06-08-2008 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: msmforever69

I was awake of the parkerized finish, but not that it would get scratches so easily. Wiping it with an oily rag makes it temporarily go away, but then it comes back when oil is dried up. That's not the main issue, the main issue is the action scratching the cases.

I took this home because I figured if everything else was great, i can ignore the few scratches here and there. But unfortunately after I chambered some rounds, I found out how rough the action feels and how it scratches the cases.
Thats the way parkerized finish works. Works the same on my PSS's I have had and same on my AR-15.

But if the action is rough, take it to a authorized remington gunsmith. And he can fix that in an hour and it will be under warranty. You would want him to fix it and not send it back to the factory.