Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1A question!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default M1A question!!!

Ihave just got an M1A and have a question about it,I have not got to shoot it yet either.Anyway,when you pull the bolt all the way back until it locks in place,to get it to go back foward i have to drop my magazine down just a little bit so i can press the magazine release all the way in to release the bolt.Is this normal?Not sure if i should be pulling it all of the way back to chamber a round.I have tried to explain this the best i can,so help.....
Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: M1A question!!!

If the gun is unloaded that is normal.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Okay so when there is a round in the magazine it will not do that?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, unless something else is messed up, which I doubt. Put a round in an try it.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Rammer!It is brand new and unfired.I plan to put some rounds down range this weekend.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on a fine weapon. My very first experience with mine was in a three gun match. First two shots were at 115 yards, head shots on a standard USPSA target, about 1.5 inches apart with open sights and never having shot the rifle before. Needless to say, I was quite happy with it...

You might want to take a spin through the owners manual. It'll answer most of your operational questions.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

Ihave just got an M1A and have a question about it,I have not got to shoot it yet either.Anyway,when you pull the bolt all the way back until it locks in place,to get it to go back foward i have to drop my magazine down just a little bit so i can press the magazine release all the way in to release the bolt.Is this normal?Not sure if i should be pulling it all of the way back to chamber a round.I have tried to explain this the best i can,so help.....
Well, the bolt will NOT lock back unless there's an empty magazine in place, because it is the magazine follower that pushes the bolt lock up, powered by the magaziner spring. So if you are trying to unlock the bolt while pushing against this spring tension, it will make it that much more difficult to get it to unlock. I suspect that's what is making you have to drop the magazine a little so you aren't fighting the magazine spring! This is quite normal!

However, when there's ammo in the magazine, nothing is pushing up on that bolt lock, so all you need to do is pull the open bolt back slightly, then release it. It will disengage from the lock, and slam forward, taking the top round with it.

Enjoy. The M1A/M14, IMO, is the best military rifle the U.S. has ever issued to date!!