Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Questions about 22 mag marlin bolt action >

Questions about 22 mag marlin bolt action

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Questions about 22 mag marlin bolt action

Old 02-26-2003, 02:43 PM

Default Questions about 22 mag marlin bolt action

Not sure the model number but it is clip fed 7 shot mag, blued steel barrel, bolt action. $165 at walmart? Is this gun any good? Accurate? Better choices? Also, I need a link to a ballistics table..
Old 02-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions about 22 mag marlin bolt action

Actually it is fed by a 7 round magazine, not a clip. Even Marlin nor Remington seem to know the difference either so don' t feel bad. The ones I saw at Wal Mart like you described are 25 MN. I have one and it shoots great. Very accurate. As a matter of fact it is so accurate that I tend to laugh when people try to tell me the 17 HRM is so much more accurate. Just doesn' t make sense. I don' t know of any ballistics tables for a 22 WMR. What are you looking for exactly?
Old 02-26-2003, 03:28 PM

Well, I have a fantastic 10/22 in .22 LR heavily modified. But we can use rifles here for Turkey hunting and while I have a nice 12 guage I would like to try a rifle. Everyone says the .22 LR will not cut it but the mag works well. Max shot would probably be 100 yards..
Old 03-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have a .22 WMR (but a Savage) 7 shot and it' s awesome. I have a winchester model 9422 that hasn' t been picked up since I bought my .22 Mag. It has alot more power for shots past 100 yds and sure does a job on gophers. My cousin has a .22 Hornet than can pop a gopher in the air about 10 ft. but mine only go about 5. Still more fun than a .22 LR, a definite buy for that price. P.S. use speer TNT ammo, you won' t be dissapointed[>:].JDinAB
Old 03-03-2003, 01:03 PM

JD, What is special about the speer ammo? Also, it looks like winchester makes one at 40 grains and 2400 fps.. seems pretty fast! Also, what is your opinion of stingers for 22 LR?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Clear...TNT is actually CCI ammo so let me crrect myself first. Secondly, I have' nt seen a winchester that goes that fast, especially at 40 gr. I found the TNT' s were the fastest and most accurate in my gun and did the MOST damage too. I tested the Remingtons, winchesters, federals (premium' s are my next choice) and other CCI' s as well. I' ll attach a link that shows all the speeds and sizes I used as a basis. As you will see there isn' t a win. that comes close to those numbers you gave me, but maybe they are new. I' d like to try them if it' s true! As for Stingers, thats the only .22 LR I use. I used to like yellow jackets but I' m sure anyone who has shot a stinger after any other .22 LR will tell you they can feel and hear the difference. Stingers are alot cleaner as well. If you shoot a .22 WMR, stingers will seem like a BB gun...and thats no lie! Give me the info on that winchester shell if you can...JDinAB
http://www.22ammo.com/hp.html
Old 03-03-2003, 05:36 PM

JD
Boy do I feel silly. I rechecked the figures and they were 34 grain winchesters at 2144. Still pretty fast. Here is the link to the article..

http://hunting.about.com/library/wee...1022magnum.htm