Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Glass bedding >

Glass bedding

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Glass bedding

Old 02-23-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Glass bedding

i have ruger 77 .308 and i am thing about glass bedding it , question is , does it really work , when does it need it. are there dif kinds , and a friend of mine says if it not shooting good then do it but if it shoots fine then leave it but i would like it to be more accurate,your thoughts please?
Old 02-24-2003, 02:49 AM

Default RE: Glass bedding

I once had a old Savage 110 bedded. The OK rifle was then a tack driver. It seemed to work for me. I needed to try new loads for the change.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:17 AM

i am having my f.n. sporter done. i also wondered if it will make my 2" ay 100yds shoot alittle better.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:24 AM
bigcountry

All the bedding does it make the vibrations decrease when fired. Your fitting the action to the stock. Its kinda like asking if I buy a suit off the rack, will it fit me any better if I have it taylored to me? Most likely not, but sometimes a rifle is bedded strong right out of the box. But doubtful.

Old 02-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whether glass-bedding will help your rifle shoot better or not depends on how it is now bedded. The Ruger M77' s are a little more difficult to glass bed, because the front guard screw not only pulls the action down when tightened, but also back more firmly agains the recoil recess in the stock. How bad is your rifle shooting now? Have you tried tighening the screws with the present bedding? I' d loosen all guard screws, then tighten the front screw up very firmly first, then the rest of them a little less tight and see if grouping improves before trying to glass bed it.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:49 AM
Spike

Glass bedding helps stop the stock from heating up,,(causing the wood to expand).It also stops moisture from entering the stock,which would result in the same problem,expansion of the stock.If the stock is too close to the barrel,and either of these problems occur,,then the stock will expand ,touching the barrel,resulting in the rifle not holding point of impact.As for tightening of the barrel bolt,,i have a Mod 70(pre 64),that would only shoot well if the bolt was loose.So try tightening AND loosening the bolt(screw) and give it a try both ways and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Hope it' s ok to ask a follow-up question, but I was wondering if glass bedding can help a gun with a laminated or synthetic stock, or does it just mainly help guns with wood stocks?
Old 02-24-2003, 02:16 PM
bigcountry

Any gun can be glass bedded. I have had good luck getting aluminum pillars installed. Anything you can do to keep that barreled action from moving after pulling that trigger will help with your accuracy.

Old 02-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

OK here is a silly question? Excatly what is Glass bedding??.Is bedding the gap (Clearance) between the fore stock and the barrel?...correct?

Quick Reply: Glass bedding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.