Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 glock--compensated??? >

glock--compensated???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

glock--compensated???

Old 02-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default glock--compensated???

looking at picking up an auto handgun, mostly for target purposes (but maybe also for the occasional concealed carry). checked out the glock 19 today (9mm). anyone out there own one with the compensated slide? is recoil dramatically different than the standard 19?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:52 AM

Default RE: glock--compensated???

Yes the recoil will be less, but you will get blinded, lol,jk. I have a mdl 23, love it. It is compact, .40. and light to carry. It is the same frame that the 19 is just in .40. If I were you I would go and shoot the compensated version if you are really thinking of buying one. Also you might look at the velocity loss with that compensator, since you will only have a very short barrel. Just a thought.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:18 AM

I have shot the compensated glock actually we received a couple or them from glock when we were in the test and evaluation process at our department they reduce the recoil dramatically and are a dream to shoot but we went with the sig saur just a better gun
Old 02-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m sure the compensated Glock' s are a pleasure to shoot and reduced recoil by being compensated. I' ve never shot one but my fear would be if needed in the darkness that the flash would temporarily blind you.I think you are more likely to be seen by the bad guy because of the flash being seen. I personnaly don' t see the need for 9mm' s or 40' s to be compensated.I can see some of the big bores but not the mid sized ones..That' s just my opinion.
Ruger Redhawk.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:21 PM

It is very blinding, we tried it out. But to a certain degree, anything will blind you a little at night. So I will take aim close my eyes and shoot, hehe. Then look and see what I hit while he is at least blinded.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:16 PM

personally if i was getting something for targets and plinking then id get one with adjustable sights
Old 03-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

The carry/target aspect you seek are almost opposed to each other in their normal requirements.

For a carry gun, you don' t want the compensator. One thing nobody has addressed yet is the noise factor. Yes firing a carry gun without hearing protection is loud, but firing a comp' ed gun is VERY loud. Enough so that you will not be able to hear anything for a few minutes. Especially true if you do it indoors.

The other aspect is accuracy. Generally a gun that is good for carry has a relatively short barrel and low profile sights. Most of the situations where you would use such a weapon are under 10 yards. For target shooting, not carry practice, you will want a range considerably longer than that, and as someone above pointed out, possibly adjustable sights.

I have a carry gun, and while I practice with it, it' s short barrel and sight configuration make it a very poor choice for any sort of target shooting.

While you certainly can carry a full sized handgun, and many do, I prefer a smaller pistol that conceals well. I don' t want to broadcast that I am carrying, in fact just the opposite.

Good luck
Old 03-02-2003, 09:13 AM

The Glock 19 is a sweet shooting gun and unless your very recoil sensitive I wouldn' t bother with the " C" models. We just went to Glock 22' s at my department and they shoot very nice with only a snap which is still more then the 19. Another friends' s department just went to the Glock 22 " C" and they all seem to like them. The trick in the " C" models if you decide you want one is finding the right ammo. Some ammo has a lower/less flash then others. In my opion the Glock 19 is a great CCW gun with very mild recoil.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]