Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Purchasing Question >

Gun Purchasing Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Purchasing Question

Old 05-12-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Gun Purchasing Question

A friend of mine bought a collection of guns from an estate auction, and I'm going to buy a S&W .357 from his lot. My question is what kind of paperwork/registration do I need to complete in order to legally own this? I've never owned a gun before, so any info would help. I live in AZ if that's important.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:26 PM

Default RE: Gun Purchasing Question

I don't know for sure about Arizona, but you are most likely going to have to go through a dealer for a handgun. A rifle you could probably do person to person with a reciept, but with a handgun it will need to be transfered I think. Which means both you and your buddy will need to find a dealer that will transfer it. I am sure they will charge you something, but I couldn't began to say how much. Under 50 bucks most likely, possibly half that if you have a good dealer.

Paul
Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 PM

You'll need one these to carry it.....

Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Sure glad I'm in Nevada private to private except Las Vegas metro is just a hand shake and trade .
Most of our sheriffs depts will gladly run S/Ns or (even suspect buyers case by case).
I thought Az. was open carry outsige the metros .
Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: harter66

Sure glad I'm in Nevada private to private except Las Vegas metro is just a hand shake and trade .
Most of our sheriffs depts will gladly run S/Ns or (even suspect buyers case by case).
I thought Az. was open carry outsige the metros .
Same here in WV.

I would call your local Sheriff and ask him. AZ laws may not take jurisdiction, you may have local laws. Tom.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

My question is what kind of paperwork/registration do I need to complete in order to legally own this?
You don't need to do anything but pay the man and go home. Arizona does not have any kind of laws that require you to register any kind of firearm or any paperwork that needs to be filled out when two provate individuals conduct a firearms sale.

Having said this, depending on how good of a "buddy" this guy is, you might want to get a signed bill of sale for your records just in case he isn't as good of a buddy as you thought and reports the gun stolen or something.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 PM

Thanks guys. I also made a call to the local police station to verify it. I'm getting the S & W .357 (chrome) for $350. It's really clean from what I saw. So now I guess my question is if that's a good deal.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back when I lived on Florida you didn't have to do anything. Face to face.Anytime I sold or bought a gun from an individual I would make a couple receipts out with the date/time,guns discription s/n etc.Exchange driver's licenses writing the numbers on each receipt.Bassically just to C.Y.A.
I would check what your state requires in such a transaction to be on the safe side..
Old 05-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

WHENEVER ANYONE HAS A QUESTION ABOUT THINGS LIKE WHAT THE LAWS ARE ABOUT GUNS IN ANY STATE OR TERRITORY, JUST ACCESS THE NRA-ILA WEBSITE AND CLICK ON THE STATE IN QUESTION!! JUST THE INFORMATION POSTED HERE IS WORTH THE COST OF NRA MEMBERSHIP, EVEN THOUGH THIS SERVICE IS FREE! ANY AMERICAN WHO OWNS A GUN SHOULD BE A N NRA MEMBER-THIS OUTFIT IS THE ONLY THING THAT STANDS BETWEEN US AND LOSING OUR RIGHTS, DURNBURNIT ALL ANYHOW!!

There is no permit or any other requirement for you to purchase & possess a firearm of any sort, including handguns, in Arizona as long as you have not been convicted of a felony, a domesic violence m9isdemeanor, and are not an otherwise ineligible "prohibited person". You don't need a permit to carry it either, as long as it is not concealed! However, there are places into which you may not enter if armed!

For further info, check out the laws on the NRA-ILA Arizona website.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/AZSL.pdf

Here's a small quote from the NRA posting for AZ: For more info, check it out yourself.

CARRYING
No person shall carry a firearm "concealed on his person." This does not apply to a person in his dwelling, business premises or on real property owned or leased by that person. A handgun carried in a belt holster which is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage is not considered carrying concealed.
It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed within the immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation. This does not apply to firearms carried in a case, holster or scabbard in a means of transportation or a storage compartment, trunk, pack, luggage, or glove compartment of a means of transportation.
Exempt from these prohibitions are peace officers or any person summoned by a peace officer to assist and while actually assisting in the performance of official duties; on-duty military forces of the United States; a person specifically licensed, authorized or permitted pursuant to an Arizona or United States statute.

No person shall, unless specifically authorized by law, enter a public establishment or attend a public event carrying a firearm after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event to remove his firearm and place it in the custody of the operator or sponsor. This does not apply to shooting ranges or shooting events, hunting areas or similar locations or activities.

It is unlawful, unless specifically authorized by law, to enter an election polling place on the day of any election carrying a firearm.
It is unlawful to possess a deadly weapon on grade or high school grounds.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't know for sure about Arizona, but you are most likely going to have to go through a dealer for a handgun. A rifle you could probably do person to person with a reciept, but with a handgun it will need to be transfered I think. Which means both you and your buddy will need to find a dealer that will transfer it. I am sure they will charge you something, but I couldn't began to say how much. Under 50 bucks most likely, possibly half that if you have a good dealer.

Paul
I am NOT AWARE OF ANY STATE in which two private citizens who are both legal residents of that state have to use a dealer to transfer a handgun, NOT EVEN in the DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF NEW YORK! Hoever, in NY, BEFORE THE TRANSFER CN TAKE PLACE, THE SELLER MUST HAVE THE HANDGUN TAKEN OFF HIS PISTOL PERMIT, AND THE BUYER MUST HAVE IT RECORDED ON HIS/HER PISTOL PERMIT. This action has to be approved & signed off by the County Superior Court Judge, EXCEPT IN NYC, where this is done by theNYC Police Commissioner....(MAYBE!!)

Quick Reply: Gun Purchasing Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.