Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Purchasing Question >

Gun Purchasing Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Purchasing Question

Old 05-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Default RE: Gun Purchasing Question

In MI you have to have a background check, obtain a license and register it with the local police department or sherriffs office. I have not purchased a handgun in MI simply becuase it's too big of pain in the ass to go about. I was told in my area some of this would have to be done at a gun shop, and they would probably charge you to do it.

I was thinking of having my dad get me one in Ohio then givie it to me as a gift. They said that wouldn't work becaue I would still have to go through all of it just to own one, doesn't matter if I buy it or recieve it as a gift. I was going to buy my girlfriend a .22 handgun to plink with but decided it just isn't worth the hassle. I bought her a bow instead.

I thought about getting a concealed carry permit until I found out how much it costs and that you pretty much can't carry them anywhere anyway. It would spend most of the time locked in the trunk unless I wanted to carry it illegaly, and if I'm going to do that I might as well not bother with the permit.

Paul
Old 05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not purchased a handgun in MI simply becuase it's too big of pain in the ass to go about.

I was going to buy my girlfriend a .22 handgun to plink with but decided it just isn't worth the hassle.
Their plan seems to be working in Michigan.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 AM

Unfortunately your are correct Bigbulls. There is just nothing I need a handgun for that badly to go through that much BS to get one. I might do it in the future though because I am considering pistol hunting. But to just "have" a handgun it is not worth it in my opinion. I can get a .22 rifle for half the money and less hassle. Heck I can get a muzzle loader with no hassle at all.

Paul
Old 05-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's too bad the we have to deal with this non-sense. Good thing they just raised taxes in Michigan to keep up with the spending.

Tom
Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello
I am NOT AWARE OF ANY STATE in which two private citizens who are both legal residents of that state have to use a dealer to transfer a handgun, NOT EVEN in the DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF NEW YORK! Hoever, in NY, BEFORE THE TRANSFER CN TAKE PLACE, THE SELLER MUST HAVE THE HANDGUN TAKEN OFF HIS PISTOL PERMIT, AND THE BUYER MUST HAVE IT RECORDED ON HIS/HER PISTOL PERMIT. This action has to be approved & signed off by the County Superior Court Judge, EXCEPT IN NYC, where this is done by theNYC Police Commissioner....(MAYBE!!)
That is incorrect...

When a private transfer takes place in the state of NY, the BUYER must first place the handgun on his permit BEFORE the seller is allowed to remove it fromtheir permit. The transaction simply will not take place if they do not know first where thepistol is going.This preventsthe situation of an unregistered handgun, should the buyer delay putting it on his permit. Private transfers aredone easiest with both parties present at the countypistol permit clerk. This not withstanding any local city ordinances that may apply...I wouldn't know about that.

Also,the only thing that is signed off by the County Judge is the actual issue of the CCW when you first apply for one. You only need one CCW and can have as many handguns on it as you wish.Future transfers from either private sellersor dealers are handled by the county pistol permit clerk oran officer/branch of the County Sheriffs Dept., depending on whatcountyit is.

Transfer from a dealer requires a "blue card", which is recieved from the permit clerk upon you giving her the pistol info. This "blue card" isso the dealer knows the pistol is now registered in your name and you then have permission to takepossession of the weapon, the "blue card" is the record the dealer keeps to prove the pistol is now offhis books.

NY, outside that gawd awful NYC, is really not that restrictive. Some smaller cities have local laws but that's nationwide anyway. The funny part is, in Upstate, most ruralLEO's WANT you to carry concealed if you carry...out of sight, out of mind, is what I've been told by a few Troopers.

Do I agree with any of this in principle...no.

Firearms registration should not exist anywhere, but it does, and the above is how itworks in the areas ofNY where I've registered handguns.