Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Purchasing a new bow

Old 03-27-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Purchasing a new bow

I have read a few reviews on the bows that interest me. I am planning on shooting most of them in 2 weeks at the local archery shops. I have been a loyal PSE shooter for 20yrs and as you can see they are not listed. I do not believe that they are as innovative as they used to be and are spending their money on acquiring other companies instead. I am looking for a quiet bow that can generate a good bit of kinetic energy more than speed. So, here is my initial list of bows and I know that once I shoot them some of them may be crossed off the list. But, I am looking for pros, cons and comments for any of the bows listed. When I plan on dropping $900 down for a bow package, I want as much information as I can obtain.
Bowtech Allegiance Bowtech Guardian Bowtech Tribute Hoyt VECTRIX Mathews Drenalin Mathews Switchback XT Ross Cardiac
Thank you, BSLugnut
Old 03-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Purchasing a new bow

Well Im probaly going to be a little bias since I shoot Ross. Right now I have a Ross CR331 and it is awsome, but I havea Cardiac on the way and cant wait to start shooting it. I had an 05 allegiance, good bow. It was fast and pretty smooth not the easiest shooting bow though. Ive shot the guardian and tribute both, really nice bows. I dont like the looks of the quardian but it does shoot nice. Not a big fan of hoyt or mathews so I havent shot any of them but it you got the cream of the crop to pic from so good luck they all are great bows. There will be one that just stands out from the rest for you.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with passthru79. I have an '07 Allegiance and love it. However, someone else may like another bow. Before I shot any of the bows the Hoyt was my first choice. Then I shot the Hoyt Vectrix & Trycon, 2 Matthews and the Bowtech. Unfortunetly none of the places had a Ross for me to try out. Vectrix didn't impress me. Matthews was smooth but has the thickest grip.Allegiance is smooth to draw and fast. It has a very thing grip that took about 2 rounds of shooting to get used to and now isn't an issue.

All of the modern bows are great. It all comes down to the one with the draw cycle that you like the best and the feel. I know that really doesn't offer much help. I shot Bear for 23 years. When it comes to dropping a lot of money it's best for you to choose what you like best and not be swayed by people that are addicts for a particular brand.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I have shot Hoyt's now for the past 4 years. I'm really starting to like the Whisper Creek Archery line though.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 AM

I just bought a Guardian after shooting all the Hoyt and Mathews bows. The Guardian had the combination of a smooth draw cycle, quiet as a whisper shot, and great feel I was looking for in a hunting bow. I'm not taking away anything from the other bows. They were all great bows but the Guardian just worked the best for me.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:48 PM

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I HAVE HEARD GREAT THINGS ABOUT THE MARTIN PANTERA. I ORDERED ONE W THE NITROUS CAMS LIKE THE SLAYER, I HAVE HAD ALOT OF TROUBLE WITH IT. IT HAS VERY LITTLE VALLEY AND HARDLEY ANY LET OFF IN MY DRAW LENGTH. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD TROUBLE W THEIR PANTERA. HAS ANYONE ELSE SHOT ONE WITH THE NITROUS CAMS.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Those are all good bows and whatever you choose, you won't go wrong.

I am biased to Mathews but bottom line they will all preform excellently in the woods.

Best of luck!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:40 PM

I myself just bought a new bow and in the search process shot every bow you mentioned and a few others. In my opinion there was not one in the group i totally disliked the new bows are just sooo good.

I choose the cardiac with the vectrix a very close second so close i almost had to flip a coin. Just keep shooting and one (or two) will really jump out at you good luck.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:17 PM

Mathews drenalin.I love mine and have shot most of the bows you listed.