Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which AR?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:49 PM

Default Which AR?

I'm looking into getting an AR 15 in .223 for general plinking and coyote/vermin reduction. I am fairly new at the whole "black rifle" scenario and want one that will last and is accurate.

I'm aware that Bushmaster, DPMS and Rock River, as well as a few other companies offer a complete package.....my question is "which one is the best"?

I 'm not prepared to build my own at this point, which I'm sure would be of more than one benefit. I'm just looking for one "package" that can offer anexcellent trigger, barrel, and good overall quality/longevity.

Does anyone have suggestions on a brand name or benefits/disadvantages of each brand?

I am looking for a 16" target barrel, flat top reciever, and collapsable stock. I suppose later on I could get a new upper in .308 and learn the ins-and-outs of building oneat that point.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which AR?

ORIGINAL: Roseaukaine

I'm looking into getting an AR 15 in .223 for general plinking and coyote/vermin reduction. I am fairly new at the whole "black rifle" scenario and want one that will last and is accurate.

I'm aware that Bushmaster, DPMS and Rock River, as well as a few other companies offer a complete package.....my question is "which one is the best"?

I 'm not prepared to build my own at this point, which I'm sure would be of more than one benefit. I'm just looking for one "package" that can offer anexcellent trigger, barrel, and good overall quality/longevity.

Does anyone have suggestions on a brand name or benefits/disadvantages of each brand?

I am looking for a 16" target barrel, flat top reciever, and collapsable stock. I suppose later on I could get a new upper in .308 and learn the ins-and-outs of building oneat that point.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Bushmaster, RRA, Armalite, Oly Arms are all pretty good. Oly makes their own parts, most other companies all buy parts from the same suppliers. Stick with a name brand, and you can't really go wrong.

I have a CMMG lower, RRA parts kit, and a Bushmaster upper and it shoots great.

Negative on going with a .308 upper later on. A .308 is based on an AR-10 lower, not an AR-15.

You could always just have an upper built, buy a complete lower and then put the two together (super simple)...
Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just prefer the Bushmaster myself!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seeing various Colts, Olympic, DPMS, Rock River, and Bushmaster products on the range frequently, seems the most "liked" of the bunch lately are the Rock Rivers - to the point that I bought one (Entry Tactical) myself, and have yet to be disappointed in what it produces downrange.

I'll echo sticking with name brands, I've seen a number of issues where an armorer was needed, and it seems that the brand names are pretty good about protecting their reputations with backing up their products, while the guys with assembled masses of remanufactured parts are .... out of luck.

And also that you cannot fit a .308/7.62x51 upper onto a .223/5.56x45 lower. In order for that to work, the .308 would have to fit into a .223 magazine, right? You can't fit a .308-sized magazine into a .223-sized magazine well machined into the lower receiver.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a Rock River guy myself. Unless you find one in stock it is about a 6 month wait for alot of Rock River rifles/parts.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

In one of my latest hunting magazines, I saw that remington is also getting into the AR market.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a Rock River guy myself. Unless you find one in stock it is about a 6 month wait for alot of Rock River rifles/parts.
That's what I keep hearing. I think Bushmasters are very popular because jsut about evey shop that carries ARs has a bunch of them in stock, and they are good rifles.

In one of my latest hunting magazines, I saw that remington is also getting into the AR market.
Yes, they are rebadged Bushmasters with Remington specific finishes.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

You think thats bad i heard its even longer than that for DPMS because they got the gov't contract.....
Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right now it sounds like all the Rock River dealers are starting to get their orders in, so it might be a good time for buying one. I've been emailing and on the phone with alot of them today from across the country, trying to locate a particular item.

Rock River also has gov't contracts they are filling as well.