Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning Auto 5 Choke question >

Browning Auto 5 Choke question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning Auto 5 Choke question

Old 02-23-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Browning Auto 5 Choke question

I just started hunting turkey with a browning auto 5. I am told to be succesful at longer ranges i need to choke my gun. Is it possible to choke an older model like i have if it has already been shot? Is there something that needs to be done to the barrel?
Old 02-23-2003, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Browning Auto 5 Choke question

Matto, your shotgun already has some choked, the question is how much choke do you have, & how much you need. Older Browning auto 5s will be marked on the barrel under the forarm and as I recall it coded. with * & - , but right now I can' t find what the code translate to. Newer auto 5s will be marked on the side of the barrel or will have screw in chokes. (invector chokes).

Standard chokes are: improved cylinder, modified, & full, other chokes are cylinder, skeet, improved modified, and extra full.

If you shotgun is choked modified you will be fine for turkeys out to 30-35 yards.

You might check browning' s web site for the choking code if your gun is one of those.

Good Luck, and let me know if you find out the choking one your gun.

Old 02-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Spike

Don' t mean to get an argument going here, but I don' t know that I agree with the modified choke being good for 30-35 yards. Most people will not shoot anything less than a full choke for turkey hunting. And you need to pattern your gun to know the limitation of your range.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:31 PM
bigcountry

An older Auto 5 doesn' t have the ability to change the choke I believe. check the age and condition of that badboy. They are definately holding thier value. Most older auto-5' s I see come with a full choke barrel. In other words, the barrel is choked.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:51 AM

My A-5 is a full choke. It says " Full" on the barrel. If you want something other than a full choke, you can buy different barrels from cabelas. They have a poly choke barrel for about $300.

I would not change your old barrel by trying to put a poly choke in it. It takes away from its originality. Just my opinion. I sure won' t ever do that to mine.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:35 AM

You can have your old barrel modified. I hate to admit it, but I have a 1965 browning A-5 light 12 that my grandfather gave me. Since I will never sell it, I had the improved cylinder barrel threaded for thin wall choke tubes. it didn' t cost very much and it shoots amazing patterns with the extra full choke tube. If you think you might ever sell the gun, a newer barrel is the way to go and just store your old one for when you sell your gun.. Ditto on the stock..