Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 customizing arisaka type 99 >

customizing arisaka type 99

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

customizing arisaka type 99

Old 02-22-2003, 06:31 PM

Default customizing arisaka type 99

I own an Arisaka Type 99 whose bore is not in very good condition. The sights are missing the fold down pieces for shooting at planes. The gun doesn' t have the monopod. The stock' s in fair condition. The question is: what kind of project can I make out of this rifle? What kind of barrel can I put on this thing? How much will it cost to purchase / install? What kind of stock can fit the action? Is it going to be worth fooling with or should I just put the gun at the back of the safe? The action appears to be in great shape. I' ve never took on this type of project and I' m getting the desire for something real custom. Any ideas?

Jake
Old 02-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: customizing arisaka type 99

I' m not aware of any easy after market triggers WITH a safety for the Arisakas. I know that Timnet is recently producing a trigger for it but it does not have a safety.
With the safety issue and the cost of dealing with swapping out the barrel, I think you' d be better aff starting with a different receiver for your project. I' ve seen a few nice Arisaka sporters, but they were fairly gadgeted-up crossbreeds.
Have you already fired it as is? You might try just reaming the chamber to 30/06 dimensions and using the expander ball for a Arisaka 7.7 in your die. You can still buy bullets from 100 grains to 215 grains in the .311 caliber. If your barrel is toast then this is obviously not an option.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

recoiljnky
Ya got to know when to hold em
Know when to fold em
know when to.......

My advice?????......run away fast!!!!
Old 02-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

To be honest with you the Jap 99, is not a very popular choice for custom rifle build-ups. The main reason being, is that gunsmiths just don' t want to waste time and effort in doing a Jap 99 custom rig. The 99 action is strong and safe, but lacks to graceful line and legentness of the much more popular Mauser action. Another thing is that the 99 has a 17 TPI (actually a 16.93 TPI) by 1.050" thread. The vast majority of gunsmiths can have difficulty in matching the exact 16.93 TPI thread and can only get as close as a 17 TPI thread. There are also a lack of after market features and accessaries, like triggers, trigger guards, magazines, and floorplates, etc. avaliabe for the type 99.

If you want to go ahead a do that Type 99 up, contact my buddy Harry McGowen at McGowen Rifle Barrels at 815-937-9816. He will rebarrel that Type 99 for you. A 30/06, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 25/06, 35 Whelen or any other case of that same length is about a long as you can go. Even then the magazine will have to opened/lengthen up .200" to handle any 30/06 based case. He can that as well. The feed ramp will have to reworked as well. Another alternative, is something like a 308 Win, 7mm/08, 260 Rem, 257 Roberts, 284 Win, 30/284, 6.5/284, or soemthing along those lines. No major modification of the action is needed for those cartridges, just a little opeing of the rails and feed ramp work. you can do away with the breech cover as well.

You can get a nice piece of wood from Richards Micro-Fit Stocks for the Type 99. you can get laminated, plain jane walnut or exhibition grade walnut, maple of any grade, thumb hole or classic.