Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem 700 Customizing? >

Rem 700 Customizing?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 700 Customizing?

Old 05-05-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Rem 700 Customizing?

I have recently purchased a new rem 700 BDL in .30-06 and am not happy with the factory synthetic stock. I am not impressed with this rifle compared to the many older remingtons I have and do own. Im thinking about putting a new synthetic stock on my rifle and driving over that old peice of junk with my truck perhaps bedding the action and free floating the barrel as well any opinions as to what type of synthetic stock would be good on this particular rifle would be greatly appreciated.
I was thinking maybe a macmillan or HS presition.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rem 700 Customizing?

Anything would be better then the factory stock. If money is an issue Bell and Carlson. If you want higher end Mcmillan,Brownprecision,Rimrock,Accurate Innovations who offer prefinished stocks.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 AM

I have an H-S Precision Pro-Series stock on my Rem 700 BDL SS (7mm Mag) and I really like it. I don't mind the factory stock, but the H-S Precision is obviously a lot nicer & more solid. I don't have experience with McMillen stocks but I can say that I returned a Bell and Carlson stock to Midway for being molded unevenly (hopefully an isolated case). I think the H-S Precision stocks are great.

Here's a pic of mine (black spiderweb color):

Old 05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunter74 HS precision stocks should have been included on my original list. I own one as well. I know that on the Midway website there is a 24 percent return rate on these stocks (bell and carlson)for whatever reason. Even with that rate they are way ahead of any junk Remington or Winchester uses for a synthetic stock.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

I put a Bell & Carlson on my Remington 700. I'm completely satisfied with this stock. I do believe the H-S Precision and McMillan to be of higher quality. H-S & McMillan offer drop-in models for the 700, but do expect a small amount of fitting to be required. I have restocked all of My Remington 700's with either synthetic or laminate stocks and I haven't bought a stock yet that didn't require at least a small amount of fitting. Most of this was due to the fact that the recoil lug on my rifles was slightly cocked to one side or the other. In the Remington factory stocks they have a lot of slop to allow for this and the aftermarket guys don't have that much room in the recoil lug area. I also bedded and free floated all of mine so fitting would have been required anyway.

The stocks you mention will be far above and beyond the factory supplied wood stock you are replacing.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:49 PM

I had heard good things about the Bell and Carlson stocks, that's why I tried to get one for my Winchester 70 (.300 Mag). I'm guessing my problem was a fluke in that the barrel channel was molded off-center, and serious Dremeling would have been necessary to correct. I was not willing to do that, so I returned it. B&C stocks are good looking stocks to be sure, but I prefer my H-S Precision pictured above.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:09 PM

Prarie_Boy1,
Look at the Brown Precision stocks. They make the Weatherby MKV Ultralight stocks. I think their stocks are awesome. They have a great variety as well. Very well made stocks.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 PM

have to go with H&S -ALL QUALITY!!!

Old 05-07-2005, 08:20 AM

I have 2 of the B&C stocks on Remington 700's. Accuracy with both rifles improved after installation. I think the aluminum bedding plate in both the B&C or the HS is excellent. I did send one B&C stock back to Cabela's. Just looked like crap. B&C swapped it out with no questions. I believe the HS stocks are a little lighter though so if weight is an issue you might try theirs. By directly from HS and I don't think you'll see much difference in price between them and B&C. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 PM

The stock is the least of your problems. Get a new trigger in it. The 700's I have played with including my 700 ADL .270 has got to have the worst factory trigger I have ever touched.

Quick Reply: Rem 700 Customizing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.