Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .22 ammo question >

.22 ammo question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 ammo question

Old 04-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Default RE: .22 ammo question

yeah i know and i agreeed that it was stupid and i dont do it anymore. you dont need to bring up past things
if i said im not going to do it im not going to........im not a complete idiot
also i dont know why you care so much about what i do............i can take care of myself
beseides even if i wanted to do this test i couldnt because i dont have a semi auto .22
Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Like I said, no it is not possible because the bullet is faster than the cycle time of the action. By the time the bolt went back, ejected the shell, picked up another and fired it the first bullet would already be out of the barrel. Even if it was a full auto and you didn't have to pull the trigger it still wouldn't happen.

A 500 fps projectile will cover 6000 inches in a second, which means it will leave a 20 inch barrel in .0033 seconds. A fully auto 10/22 has a cycle rate around 1200 fps. This means it will fire a round every .333 seconds. So a 500 fps round would travel nearly 2000 inches, or over 160 feet by the time the second round was fired.

And if I did my math correctly (which I may not have, I suck at math) I find the 1800 fps round taking 140 some yards to overtake the 500 fps bullet. At that distance the trajectory between the two will be so huge there is no way either of these bullets would ever touch each other. Let alone hit each other in the barrel.

And this is with a full auto firing 1200 rounds a minute, doing it by hand I bet you would get off maybe 2 or 3 rounds in a second, if you were really good. Probably closer to 1 and half.

Paul
Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Spike

They wouldn't hit each other because you can't possibly cycle your action that quick. CB's or anything else shooting 500-800fps won't cycle a semi auto.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Like I said, no it is not possible because the bullet is faster than the cycle time of the action. By the time the bolt went back, ejected the shell, picked up another and fired it the first bullet would already be out of the barrel. Even if it was a full auto and you didn't have to pull the trigger it still wouldn't happen.

A 500 fps projectile will cover 6000 inches in a second, which means it will leave a 20 inch barrel in .0033 seconds. A fully auto 10/22 has a cycle rate around 1200 fps. This means it will fire a round every .333 seconds. So a 500 fps round would travel nearly 2000 inches, or over 160 feet by the time the second round was fired.

And if I did my math correctly (which I may not have, I suck at math) I find the 1800 fps round taking 140 some yards to overtake the 500 fps bullet. At that distance the trajectory between the two will be so huge there is no way either of these bullets would ever touch each other. Let alone hit each other in the barrel.

And this is with a full auto firing 1200 rounds a minute, doing it by hand I bet you would get off maybe 2 or 3 rounds in a second, if you were really good. Probably closer to 1 and half.

Paul
man you are probablty the mosy informative guy on this website
thanks
do you think they could hit eachother once out of the barrel and far out?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:08 PM

Third paragraph in.

I will try to explain it a little better. I did actually mess my math up. Well I didn't really mess up the math, I just figured both bullets at a constant speed, which is wrong. Both are slowing down as they travel, and the slower bullet will slow down more. I played with a ballistics calculator and the faster bullet would actually take over the slower bullet at closer to 80 yards from what I can tell.

Based on a 40 grn bullet with a 50 yard sight in this is what I get. Time of flight for the 500 fps bullet at 80 yards is .493 seconds. Time of flight for the 1800 fps bullet after figuring in the .333 second delay is .482, so around 80 yards the faster bullet would pass the slower one. However the slower bullet will drop at a faster rate, the actual time of flight for the faster bullet at 80 yards is actually only .149 seconds, so it shoots flatter.

At 80 yards the the faster bullet would only drop .7 inches where as the slower bullet will drop 16.8 inches. So even though one can catch up to the other they will be 16 inches apart from each other on a vertical plain. So there is no way they could ever hit each other.

Make more sense now?

Paul

Paul
Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 AM

do they not teach mathematics, or basic physics in school anymore? because this isnt even a gun/ammo question, its a basic math one. It may not even be a math question, it could just possibly be in the realm of common sense.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Newfield_Clay

do they not teach mathematics, or basic physics in school anymore? because this isnt even a gun/ammo question, its a basic math one. It may not even be a math question, it could just possibly be in the realm of common sense.
dude i have almost the exact same guns as you

i didnt even thiunik of the droppage of the bullet as it flew