Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 243 ammo question >

243 ammo question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 ammo question

Old 11-14-2006, 06:04 PM

Default 243 ammo question

Picking up my Remy 7400 (sorry, guys, I know some of you hate it.) in a 243.
Thoughts on which ammo? Also, can someone explain grains to me?
Thanks,
Melly
Old 11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 243 ammo question

ORIGINAL: Melly 1972

Picking up my Remy 7400 (sorry, guys, I know some of you hate it.) in a 243.
Thoughts on which ammo? Also, can someone explain grains to me?
Thanks,
Melly
Typically grains is used to express the weight of the bullet.

Ammo selection depends on what you plan on using it for.

I didn't "hate" my 7400 but it sure wasn't very reliable. I'd much rather have the pump. which I do.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

For deer hunting I would use 100gr bullets, and varmites use 55gr. to 75gr. bullets. As for make , try several and see which is the most accurate. It some times dosn't take the most high priced bullet to shoot accurate! Zeak
Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 PM

I like the moly coated bullets from winchester. 95 grain ballistic tip is what I shoot. Accurate, don't foul the barrel as much as other bullets. killed my last buck with one shot throught he shoulder and destroyed the lungs at almost 400 yards with this load. Thats all the proof I need.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really need to try a few bullets and see which one your gun likes. my gun shoots rem. corlocks , the Hornady's, and the federals all very well. 100 gr. The Hornady's are probably the best, but come with a little more price. My gun hated the winchester molly coated bullets.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Really need to try a few bullets and see which one your gun likes. my gun shoots rem. corlocks , the Hornady's, and the federals all very well. 100 gr. The Hornady's are probably the best, but come with a little more price. My gun hated the winchester molly coated bullets.
I've been told by several gunsmiths that moly shouldn't go in your bore. Not sure how true that is but I don't care to use it.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 AM

Someone tried to tell me that a Remington gun should use Remington ammo. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, on this same theme, Remy makes several 243 cartridges in 100gr. Iknow Gander has Premier® Core-Lokt® Ultra Bonded as well as Core-Lokt® Centerfire. (And others, too, I know.) Thoughts?

Sorry to be such an annoying noob. My dad and uncles hunted, but Dad died when I was 10. After that, I wasn't around it as much, tapering off to not at all. Every year as an adult, I have said "THIS year I am going to take the safety class and go hunting." Well, this year is finally THIS year. Mom died at 65, unexpectedly in September. She never got a chance to retire, even. That kinda lit a fire under my arse to do it. Took the class and aced the exam. I do have all Dad's guns- 12g, 30-06, 22, muzzleloader. I also now have a Mossburg 20g, and as of tonight will have my Remy 243. I am a decent shot with all I have fired. (Haven't touched the ML, and I have not fired the 30-06.)
Thanks to all for your patience. I am learning a ton here!!!!
Melinda
Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 AM

Not to hijack your thread, just a quick question for brutal attack. Why shouldn't moly coated bullets be used? I've liked them, but don't have a great deal of experience either. Myself and a friend uses them with great sucess.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester doesnt use moly on those bullets anyway.The black coating is something else(Lubalox) that works just like moly. I also like the Supreme silvertip BT bullets. I reload with them in alot of different calibers.

A gunsmith that says you SHOULDN'T use moly in your bore needs to rethink their career choice. He is obviously misinformed. If he doesnt believe it, then let him call Hornady and argue with them, I'm sure their engineers forgot more then he knows about moly.

You can argue how good it works or if it help's much or not but to say you shouldn't use it is just false information.

This is info from Nosler on Lubalox

Are Lubalox and Moly the same?
NO, Lubalox (CT Ballistic Tip) is an oxide-based coating, which reduces fouling and allows more shooting between cleanings, also Lubalox does not buildup in the barrel and requires only normal cleaning procedures. Moly (CT Fail Safe & Partition Gold) is a molybdenum disulfide coating which reduces fouling and friction. Moly requires a barrel be conditioned by shooting several rounds after cleaning and special cleaning procedures. Accuracy with non-coated bullets may not be up to par in a Moly conditioned barrel.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Melly 1972

Someone tried to tell me that a Remington gun should use Remington ammo. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, on this same theme, Remy makes several 243 cartridges in 100gr. Iknow Gander has Premier® Core-Lokt® Ultra Bonded as well as Core-Lokt® Centerfire. (And others, too, I know.) Thoughts?

Sorry to be such an annoying noob. My dad and uncles hunted, but Dad died when I was 10. After that, I wasn't around it as much, tapering off to not at all. Every year as an adult, I have said "THIS year I am going to take the safety class and go hunting." Well, this year is finally THIS year. Mom died at 65, unexpectedly in September. She never got a chance to retire, even. That kinda lit a fire under my arse to do it. Took the class and aced the exam. I do have all Dad's guns- 12g, 30-06, 22, muzzleloader. I also now have a Mossburg 20g, and as of tonight will have my Remy 243. I am a decent shot with all I have fired. (Haven't touched the ML, and I have not fired the 30-06.)
Thanks to all for your patience. I am learning a ton here!!!!
Melinda
No you don't have to worry about shooting the same brand of ammo as your gun.

Quick Reply: 243 ammo question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.