Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How quiet can I get.. >

How quiet can I get..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How quiet can I get..

Old 04-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How quiet can I get..

I want to blink off the back deck at 25 yards plus or minus with a gun that utilizes powder andnotair. I have a decent gamo air gun but I like the smell of powder..

.22 shorts?? .22 cb's?? Is there another option? I have heard of sub-sonic .22 rounds but know zero about them. I can shoot legally where I plink frombut the less noise my nieghbors the better off I figure I am.

Not that we all don't just love our guns here in the south Boston burbs

Old 04-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How quiet can I get..

CCI .22 CBs out of a rifle are quieter than air rifles. I use them all the time for shooting things in the backyard.
If you want to test how loud they are without the danger of alerting neighbors, start your lawnmower up in your yard to cover the sound of the shot- you'll be suprised at how quiet they are.

Don't shoot them out of a revolver- they are still pretty loud shooting them that way.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

CCI .22 CBs out of a rifle are quieter than air rifles. I use them all the time for shooting things in the backyard.
If you want to test how loud they are without the danger of alerting neighbors, start your lawnmower up in your yard to cover the sound of the shot- you'll be suprised at how quiet they are.

Don't shoot them out of a revolver- they are still pretty loud shooting them that way.
CB's are quiter out of my 22 also. Just remember that a 22 is a firearm and an air rifle falls under a different category if you are in a city environment. Legally it might make a difference.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
DM

ORIGINAL: Remnard

ORIGINAL: Briman

CB's are quiter out of my 22 also. Just remember that a 22 is a firearm and an air rifle falls under a different category if you are in a city environment. Legally it might make a difference.
And because they are such low velocity they don't blow up... That means they bounce and get airborn again landing ???

DM
Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Sub-sonic Rems are just as quiet as my airgun. If shooting a semi auto 22, you may have to polish up a few internal items to get them to cycle properly.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

For as quiet as you can get, go with the Colibri primer only rounds. They use a 20 grain cone bullet. It may be difficult to find locally, but here's a couple sources:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM066-3528-304.html
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=295321

It will do a rabbit in at 25 yds. They work best from a revolver, but shoot fine through my Remington bolt action rifle. They won't cycle a semi-auto action. But quiet they are.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

CB's are about as quiet as you can get with a .22 (with ammo that is easy to find). Subsonics are next in terms of quietness. Of course you can get always go through all the hoops to get a suppressor I've heard that if you use subsonic ammo and use some electrical tape to tape a plastic bottle on the end of your barrel, it works like a suppressor. I don't know if it's legal though - you should check on that.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great selection of advice guys and quite a few things I hadnot thought of. It's a nice safe place and I can see at least two miles sea level across the marsh to a country club. I'm guessing that is an awful long way for aCB.

I wonder if I should worry a little bit about the bullet not breaking up. Guess I will wander over to Dicks but I will be lucky if they have .22 shorts, CB's, or much else of interest.

Can't mail order ammo here so not much trying colibri primer rounds just for fun. Thanks................
Old 04-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always appreciate people thinking about what is on the other side of the target, as I have been hit with spent rounds too. (Hmm, probably many here have!) The other side to this, using CB caps which are remarkably quiet in a rifle barrel, is that you can choose the downrange path. On those relatively few occasions where I have popped one into my backyard, I have an out building and a good sized red oak as back up for any skip. If you can fire from a room, quieter yet. As a kid I used to be able to find BB caps, a primer based ball round, that were excellent at yard ranges. Would even go through a rabbit. But have not seen any lately.

The other hazard in populated areas is someone blundering into your line of sight just as you pull the trigger. A work partner not too long ago took a round from a german made air rifle and ended up in the ICU. So if there is any concern like that in my mind, I use a spotter.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 AM
MagnumMan308

Aguila Super Colibris are as quiet as it gets. Out of a rifle, the bullet smack is louder than the puff of air at the shot.