Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP >

Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP

Old 03-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP

XD is a fantastic gun, I owned a .40 service but they carry concealed for crap.
They are so chunky and square edged that they are quite uncomfortable for everyday concealed work.
I'd choose a bunch of other guns over it for concealed carry but for duty carry or at home it's right up there IMO.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the sub compact in 40s&w. Fantastic firearm. Great safety features built into the gun while having zero manual safeties that you would have to manipulate in the heat of the moment. This is a firearm that you must want to shoot otherwise it will not fire or operate with out the shooter having control of the firearm.

I have got to go against all of the Glock fans here. I woudn't own a Glock if it was given to me. I do not like the plastic guide rods,the triggers that you can do little with, thewide (front to back) grips, polymer magazines, and they're just butt ugly.

Another fantastic firearm is the S&W M&P. Definetly look at it before you decide.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the XD would be an excellent choice as would many others to include, Glock, Sig, Berettaand the S&W M&P. I preferGlock myself but that is just a personal preference. I carry a Beretta on duty and a Glock as my backup/off duty weapon.

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I have the sub compact in 40s&w. Fantastic firearm. Great safety features built into the gun while having zero manual safeties that you would have to manipulate in the heat of the moment. This is a firearm that you must want to shoot otherwise it will not fire or operate with out the shooter having control of the firearm.

I have got to go against all of the Glock fans here. I woudn't own a Glock if it was given to me. I do not like the plastic guide rods,the triggers that you can do little with, thewide (front to back) grips, polymer magazines, and they're just butt ugly.

Another fantastic firearm is the S&W M&P. Definetly look at it before you decide.

Got to disagree with you on a few statements Bigbulls.

First off, if installed correctly the factory plastic guide rods in a Glock will last for tens of thousands of rounds. If a person really wants a metal guide rod, they are readily available from numerous sources. There areother polymer pistolsthat have plastic guide rods to include Sig and Beretta.

Second, the triggers are easily worked on. I replaced the factory trigger(actually the connector)in my G27 in less than30 minutes, and that includes stripping thefirearm and polishing the components and reassembly. Cost me less than $15 bucks to boot.

Third, the grip does present a problem for some with small hands. I have never seen anyone with average handsor largerhave problems in the grip department. However, Glock has recently introduced the "SF" series in the G21 SF and the G30 SF which is supposed to address this problem.

Fourth, you have a polymer pistol, so what's the problem with a polymer magazine? These magazines are metal lined and they are tough. I have seen Glock magazines take a lot of abuse.

Fifth, I agree with youGlocks are ugly. However I have not seen many polymer handguns that I consider pretty. None of them compare to a sweet looking 1911!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

First off, if installed correctly the factory plastic guide rods in a Glock will last for tens of thousands of rounds. If a person really wants a metal guide rod, they are readily available from numerous sources. There areother polymer pistolsthat have plastic guide rods to include Sig and Beretta.
I have replaced enough broken plastic guide rods for customers to know that they are no where near as durable as a steel guide rod.

Second, the triggers are easily worked on. I replaced the factory trigger(actually the connector)in my G27 in less than30 minutes, and that includes stripping thefirearm and polishing the components and reassembly. Cost me less than $15 bucks to boot.
The connectors are easily replacedyet it does very little to make a good trigger. There is only so much you can do with a Glock trigger. And many other triggers as well.

Third, the grip does present a problem for some with small hands. I have never seen anyone with average handsor largerhave problems in the grip department. However, Glock has recently introduced the "SF" series in the G21 SF and the G30 SF which is supposed to address this problem.
I am 6'2" 275 and the grip on most of the Glocksis wide enough that I can not get a full hold on the firearm. At least not enough to make me feel in complete control of the firearm. Iprefer to have my fingers wraped completely around the grip to give me the highest level of control I can get.

Fourth, you have a polymer pistol, so what's the problem with a polymer magazine? These magazines are metal lined and they are tough. I have seen Glock magazines take a lot of abuse.
A polymer magazine takes up unnecessary space inside the grip making the grip much larger than it needs to be.

None of them compare to a sweet looking 1911!
Now, that has a good grip.

Of course this is all just my opinion and whatI like in a hand gun. Every one is different. I am not saying that Glocks are bad firearms just they are waaaaayyyyy down at the bottom of my list of handguns.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:33 PM

I'm seriously considering a XD in .45 or .40, I like the idea of the compact .45, allows either a 10 rd compact mag or a 13rd extended grip, still has a 4" barrel though. I may end up just going with the service model.

Theres just something I don't like about smith and wesson, and the XD draws me to it, lol. I'll be carrying it while hunting and may carry it concealed once I get my concealed carry permit, but will likely get a smaller 3" barreled gun for that at some point.

What I don't understand is that the .45 version has a 13rd mag and the .40 has a 12 rd, that doesn't make a lot of since to me.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM

I have a full size xd 45 with the 4" barrell. Love it. If I were in the market to buy another new handgun, I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one. It is heavy and would not make a good concealed carry gun though. I was just on their website and for 08 they have a safety on the slide. I havent shot it that much (probably 300 rounds or so) but it is a great shooting gun. I havent had one jam or loading problem. Matter of fact, I shot a deer at 20 yards in the back of the head with a 230gr hydrashock, one handed. Not trying to brag or sound cocky, it is just a great pointing gun.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at them a few weeks ago, didnt like the way it felt in my hand. I went with the Walther P99 instead.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Buy the XD you won't be disappointed!!!