Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Custom Rifle Build >

Custom Rifle Build

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Rifle Build

Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Custom Rifle Build

Hey fellas, I'm debating building myself a medium weight, sporter rifle for a multi-purpose North America big game rifle.

Cartridge:

I'm kinda thinking a 280 Ackley Improved.

Whatcha guys think of that for shooting antelope, mule deer, whitetails, elk, and sheep.

What other cartridge should I check into?

I will more than likely build it on a Savage action, Shilen barrel, and a Stockade gun stock.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom Rifle Build

Shilen has pre-threaded barrels ready to go for the Savage, and I've read alot of good stuff about them at the savage shooters forums.

I considered a 7mm WSM, but I want something out of the ordinary for a rifle I'm going to build myself. I like the "your shooting what?" look on peoples faces when they ask what I'm shooting.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Hey fellas, I'm debating building myself a medium weight, sporter rifle for a multi-purpose North America big game rifle.

Cartridge:

I'm kinda thinking a 280 Ackley Improved.

Whatcha guys think of that for shooting antelope, mule deer, whitetails, elk, and sheep.

What other cartridge should I check into?

I will more than likely build it on a Savage action, Shilen barrel, and a Stockade gun stock.

I know you reload and currently have a 7mm rem mag you like and say it shoots. So why a 280AI?? Seems reduntant. If you want a little morewhat about turning your7mm rem mag into an STW???
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do they make a pre-treaded barrel for a .280 Ackley? A 7mm WSM, RM, STW, RUM would also be good choices. I like the specs on the .280 AI, about the same as a Rem Mag, with less muzzle blast and recoil.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was trying to make a lighter weight rifle, that is close to matching my 7mm Rem Mags performance. I have no desire for anything bigger than my 7mm Rem Mag, at least for North America game. If I ever get to hunt the big bears, or Africa then I'll get myself a 375 or bigger.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

7WSM is one great cartridge and it surpasses the 7mm Rem mag... 280 AI no way not impressed with its "sibling"(only kidding).Very accurate like most of the WSM's are and can be built right. Rem 700 action (custom barrel) put in a Mcmillan edge.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda thinking about this, what do you guys think:

Browning A-Bolt action
25-300WSM
Pac Nor or Montana Rifleman barrel
Fit the barrel to the standard Stalker stock

Old 03-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm Wby?
7mm Dakota?
.284 win?

6.5 WSM would be awesome!

PS- isn't the 7mm WSM dead? not that the .280 AI is more available, just saying.....

Old 03-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great, well thought out rig. I have been reading a good bit about that Shilen screw on Savage barrel. All the reports I have heard were positive. I personally like the 30 caliber a bit better, but your cartridge choice sound like fun. You should be able to build a real tack driver for a decent price. Good luck. Tom.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could not pick any better cartridge for your needs! Shilen barrels are superb. But there's nothing wrong with the Douglas Premium-grade barrels, either!!

BUT, if you are looking for the ultimate in the way of unusual and high performance, take a look at the 7mm Gibbs. It is just about as far as one can go with a maximized .30/'06 case! How does 3300 FPS with a 139-grain bullet from a fireformed '06 case sound??

Quick Reply: Custom Rifle Build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.