Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm. Rem Mag VS. .300 Win. Mag.....RECOIL???? >

7mm. Rem Mag VS. .300 Win. Mag.....RECOIL????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm. Rem Mag VS. .300 Win. Mag.....RECOIL????

Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default 7mm. Rem Mag VS. .300 Win. Mag.....RECOIL????

Can some of you folks who have experience shooting the 7mm Rem Mag and the .300 Win. Mag.give me some insight on how much difference in recoil I would see between the 2 calibers.
I'm looking at the Browning Stainless Stalker and the Remington CDL

Anyinfo would be appreciated
Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7mm. Rem Mag VS. .300 Win. Mag.....RECOIL????

If your worried about recoil, why don't you just go with a 7mm08 or 308.. Same calibers with a lot less recoil..
Old 03-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not notice recoil at all with a 7 mag not anyone of the dozen or so that I have owned. I have owned just a few 300 win mags and every one ranged from stout (Savage) to almost manageable( Model 70) . I don't know about most shooters but I make a mental checklist before every shot on an animal...starting with is the eyepiece the correct distance from my eye and working my way down to a nice slow trigger squeeze. I found I get stuck on point 1 almost all the time when I am shooting a 300 win mag or more powerful.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cartridge to cartridge they are pretty close in recoil with factory ammo. The 300 will be heavier, but not by a lot. But as OldElkHunter said you can tell the difference.

IMO the browning will have more perceived felt recoil. This is in part due to the stock material, and stock design. I also believe it is a bit lighter than the Remington?? I have never owned one of the CDL'S, but I think they are a sharp looking rifle. Tom.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

... IMO the browning will have more perceived felt recoil. This is in part due to the stock material, and stock design. I also believe it is a bit lighter than the Remington?? I have never owned one of the CDL'S, but I think they are a sharp looking rifle. Tom.
I've got the CDL in .30-'06, and I think it'samazing what the R3 recoil pad does to reduce felt recoil. I fired my rifle side-by-side with an '06 BDL, and the difference was unbelieveable.

Weight definitely helps with recoil, but I think fit is probably even more important. If you find that one comes more naturally to your shoulder than the other, it's likely you'll have less perceived recoil with that one.

FC

Old 03-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm rem mag is comparable to a 3006, very tolerable. 300wm is a step up and at the point where comfortshooting maybe surpassed, like oldelkhunter mentions. The 300wm isn't terrible, I have just found it to be the place where recoil complaints start toshow upmore frequently.

As far as rifle design, fit is the most important thing. If the stalker fits you better then CDL then it will feel less & vice versa. If equal my experience is similar to Tom's (HEAD0001) browning abolts hits me a little different then M700's do, so I feel it a little more. The fact the CDL comes equipped with the R3 (sims pad) is a bonus but you can get one for any rifle so wouldn'tbe the deal maker over fit/feel and personal likes. Both are excellent choices. Howeverthe CDL isn't offered in 300wm for the LH version, so if you truly want CDL& 300wm your in a pickle.

From what you said(previous post)wanted the rifle for its not a matter of cartridge its a matter of what fits you right and then going with whichever cart. you want/like. Since you said you've always liked the .280 rem, you can either buystandard long actionand have it chambered to 280rem, look for a custom on places like gunsamerica, etc or buy a 7mm rem mag. If your not going to reloadtheRem Magwould be a good choice IMO as more load offerings for a wide range of applications (yet uses the same .284 cal bullets you like).

Good Luck
Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info folks....keep it comin'
Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

My 7 mm has about 85% of the muzzle energy of my .300 WM, and surprise, surprise, it kicks about 85% as much.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say what you'd actually feel they would be about the same if you're shooting 175gr from the7mm and 180gr from the .300, by the way, just get a .300
Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I'd say what you'd actually feel they would be about the same if you're shooting 175gr from the7mm and 180gr from the .300, by the way, just get a .300
Not really an apples to apples comparison as the 175gr /284 is in the heavy for cal and the 180gr/.308 is not. Be more accurateor comparable if you usebullets with similar sectional density.
Ie:
154-160gr. 284 vs .180gr .308
or
175/.284 vs 200/.308

Slice it any way you like, the 300wmuses heavierbullet weight+ more powder in the case = more free recoil produced(assuming the rifles are comparable in weight)! Whether it will cause any problems nobody can say for sure. The only way to know for sure is shooting them both and comparing.I notice thedifference though it doesn't effect me (definately tolerable), however everybody is different in this regard.

Quick Reply: 7mm. Rem Mag VS. .300 Win. Mag.....RECOIL????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.