Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage

Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage

I knew there was a model 110 and a model 111 btu really not too Savy with how the models line up in order (1 through ?)as to quality. I liked the looks of the classic series but have always heard about 110's and 111's. I am only interested i the models designed for big game and not varmint or match.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

As far as I know, here is how they line up:

All the barreled actions will be built of basically the same quality and performance. The "Classic" series, will have a high polish blue, and then I think some low end models may still be available without the accutrigger. So basically actions come in Matte blue, polish blue and stainless. In addition, they are making a benchrest style single shot action and putting it in a few target guns. It is supposed to be pretty good. It's accutrigger has a much lower pull weight range.

They have basically 3 grades of plastic stocks. Their cheapest guns come with a warpage prone cheap plastic stock. Then, they seem to have a mid range plastic stock. Finally, some are available with McMillan or HS Precision stock.

Wood seems to come in 3 grades: A cheap basic wood stock, a nice working grade laminate, and a high gloss type for the "Classic" series. There are sevveral shapes also.

In general, Savage rifles are moving up a notch and Steevens is picking up the low end.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I realize you was talking about bolt actions but my vote is for the much missed model 99.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I appreciate the info and opinions.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:37 AM

I owned an older Savage 110E several years ago and it was one fine shooting rifle with tight shot groups. I have just recently purchased the Savage Weather Warrior 116FHSAK in the 7mmRem Mag, this is the best shooting rifle I have ever shot (accutrigger and adjustable muzzle break).Before I purchased it I called several gun dealers and inquired about the most accurate and tightest grouping rifles, all the people seemed to agree that the Savage is one of the best rifles for holding tight shot groups. For an affordable rifle I would pick Savage over any other rifle.