Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
Remington
32.33%
Winchester
10.42%
Weatherby
4.67%
Savage
9.15%
Browning
12.04%
Ithaca
0.83%
Beretta
1.24%
Benelli
2.89%
Federal
0.13%
Ruger
9.30%
Sako
4.73%
Other
9.62%
Thompson Center
2.67%
Voters: 3149. You may not vote on this poll

Which Gun

Old 08-23-2003, 10:30 PM

Default RE: Which Gun

This is a very very hard question to answer. How can any respectable hunter live with just one gun? Anyhow, if I had to choose, I would have to go with my Winchster Mod. 94 30-30, it has alot of value to me, because it was my dad' s gun. You can hardly beat a 30-30 Winchster for a good jack of all trades gun. When you say THURTY THURTY[8D], peopl knwo what you' re talking bout!![:-] I apoligize for this, but if I could have a second choice, it would be a
Savage 110 .243 .
Old 08-25-2003, 05:59 PM

Without a doubt it would be my custom .30-06 FN. It' s a family heirloom, but is also my hunting rifle. Never shot another gun like it......perhaps because it was built for royalty! I consider myself extremely lucky to be the owner of it, and would sooner sell my soul than sell it!!
Old 08-25-2003, 06:22 PM

that is what my wife said " me or her"
Just one? I guess that would be a browning a-bolt stainless stalker with boss in .270wsm
Old 08-26-2003, 05:56 PM

Tough one because we' re saying only one. I suspect it' d be the .22 rimfire pump. In a pinch you can kill anything with it. Ammunition is cheap and plentiful. Plenty accurate. No surprises. Light and handy to carry. Even takes down to stash in a pack or whatnot.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:37 AM

I am thankful that this is only an exercise of imagination! And also without asking the next question, (What would be the primary purpose of this one gun?), I will assume for the sake of discussion we are talking about rifles. And if I should also assume a " rifle for hunting" . In that case I would most probably select a Stainless/synthetic bolt, with controlled round feed, chambered for .338 Winchester Magnum. If price were no object....then maybe a custom Mauser 98 to meet the above criteria. If price were an object then possibly either a Ruger or Winchester to meet the above criteria.

If I were to assume only one gun...period!!! For everything....then I might be more inclined to choose an M1A1 in 7.62 NATO, (.308 Winchester). In a pinch...(in most places...PA excepted)....it could be used for taking big game. Or single loaded with handloads for small game. It would certainly excel for personal protection, (what it was purpose built for), but would be nearly impossible to carried concealed...Ha...ha!!!

Thankfully we live, (at least still for the moment), in a nation protected by a Constitution that recognizes man' s birth rights. (Not privileges!!!!) And this is only an exercise of the imagination!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:34 AM

" JC Higgins Model 51 30-06 which was left to me by my dad. Good luck."

I have one of those, my favorite hunting .30-06, my all-time favorite .30-06 is my Remington 1903A3. It is a jem and the tightest shooting military rifle I have.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:13 AM

There are some interesting answers posted to this question. It wasn' t stated so I' m going to be the minority here and I would keep my little Ithaca featherlight 16 guage, or my grandfathers (I' m the 3rd generation to own it) hand-made spanish side-by-side 12 guage. But if It had to be a rifle then I got and old 30-30 savage in bolt action that is light to carry, dependable, shoots straight and looks pretty......... Thank got this is just a question and not reality!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 05:23 AM

rem. 870 12 gauge shot gun or the 7mm

but Browning has some nice guns but there my fav. company so i had to bring them up
Old 09-13-2003, 02:26 PM

My Savage 110 30-06 shoots as straight as any of my other guns so why keep my expensive guns when I could get some good cash for them

My Savage is as good as some of my guns that cost 3 times as much, so much for " you get what you pay for" [:-]
Old 09-14-2003, 07:36 AM

Hey CodyBear,

I agree with what you say about Savage. My Md. 111 chambered for .30-06 shoots very well. But I can think of at least one good reason to keep the other rifles as well.

Once you sell them for cash....cash has a way of disappearing and you are then left with neither! So unless you are just plain " strapped for cash" why not keep the other rifles as well. Have the continued enjoyment of owning them, the option of using " something different" once in a while, and a spare in the event something goes wrong with the Savage.

Savage represents a good value for the money and tend to shoot very well inspite of not being what I' d call really good looking. But I' d hate to get rid of everything else just because!!!!! (And on a rifle for use against dangerous game I' d prefer an action with controlled round feed. And no...I have not had " extensive" experience on dangerous game. But there are many that have...and I respect their opinions...especially when issues of reliability or Murphy' s Law...(ex military...SNAFU). So I try to tilt the scales in my favor the best I can.) Which I guess is another way of saying a " second reason" for at least one other rifle....which has controlled round feed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.