Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 who owns a Savage smokeless >

who owns a Savage smokeless

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

who owns a Savage smokeless

Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default who owns a Savage smokeless

I bought one and am pleased. I have shot 42 grains of Vithourvori powder (if thats how you spell it) and haven't played around with different loads, to see what throws the tightest group. IShoot the hornady .451(mabey .452) 250 grain bullet. This is not with the ballistic polymer tip.
What loads are you guys shooting with the smokeless powder?
and how tight of groups are you getting?
Should my next box of bullets be with the tips?
What kind of trajectories are you guys and gals getting? by zeroing at what yardage?
I can't use a rifle here so I mainly use it for extending my shotgun range during deer season.
How much farther can you outshoot your blackpowder cronies?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 AM

Default RE: who owns a Savage smokeless

Well,i'm sorry,but that is a sorry ass thing for a muzzle loader....I know a guy that has
one and he is getting some damn fantastic groups out to 200 yards with it....I still
do not like them....If you want a muzzle loader,buy a muzzle loader....
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a blackpowder thread where this firearm barely qualifies
Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 AM

oldelk----my point exactly.......
Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
DM

My brother bought one some years ago and he loves it... He has taken quite a few deer with it, a few coyotes and i think at least one bobcat with it...

Personally, i like them and wish there were more choises of them on the market.

DM
Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the wise ass coments. This gun will never see that nasty smelly corosive black powder so why would I post under a blackpowder thread? Also I wanted a top of the line muzzleloader, I am not sure what your problem is with sweet groups out to 200? dont be jelous, try that with your conventional blackpowder and get back to me.

anyone have anything of value to bring here?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckclub

Thanks for the wise ass coments. This gun will never see that nasty smelly corosive black powder so why would I post under a blackpowder thread? Also I wanted a top of the line muzzleloader, I am not sure what your problem is with sweet groups out to 200? dont be jelous, try that with your conventional blackpowder and get back to me.

I hope so. I'd like to see more about this stuff myself. The flack about it reminds me of the long bow/recurve guys going off on compound shooters. A bow is a bow, and a muzzleloader is a muzzleloader. Whatever you pour down the barrel. Period.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

I have one. Absolutely love it. Not many loads group over 1 1/2". A few of my favorite loads group under 1". Its not "stock", its been bedded and had a third pillar added. I wish I would have saved that money, because it shot that good before I had the work done. Here is a report from my last range session. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2661725 Not my best groups ever, but prettycloseto what I get on average. Also if your seriously thinking about one join here http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage. Its by far the best board for these ML's. These guns are picky about what combo they like, so plan on lots of range time. If you are willing to put in the work, there is no better muzzleloader, atleast for the money.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM

I love mine so much that I got rid of my Encore. Right now I'm using a book load 44grains of Accurate Arms 5744 and a 300grain xtp with MMP-24 sabot. The load is MOA if I do my part.
Where I hunt, I'm lucky to get a shot at 100yds let alone 200. I went with a big hollow point for maximum "smack factor".
Check out the modern muzzleloader site. http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com
For some sound advice on longer range loads and recommendations.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for your insight. People post about their Savages over in Black Powder forum all the time.

Obviously you don't

Quick Reply: who owns a Savage smokeless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.