Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need advise- handgun for wife >

Need advise- handgun for wife

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need advise- handgun for wife

Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need advise- handgun for wife

Hi all. I am looking for a revolver for my wife for personal protection/shooting some on the weekends. We are going to get our CCW permits together soon. I will need to get her something small, short barrell. I know .357 and .38 are both real popular, but she shot a ruger .357 and it was a little much for her as she is pretty small. She has also shot my .38 revolver and my .22 mag revolver and she liked the .22 because of the low recoil but it would be marginal at best is she ever needed it.

I have looked at several revolvers in the book at my local dealer but there aren't many places here that carry more than 1 or 2 revolvers.

Any recommendations on caliber and brand or model. I've always liked the S & W and Colt revolvers but the colt's will probably be outside of our price range.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need advise- handgun for wife

The new .327 magnum in a ruger sp101 would be perfect for her. It has almost the energy of a .357 but no more recoil than a standard .38 load. And the ruger is all steel.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

The S&W J-frames sound about right for her. .38 (+P, too!), easy to carry, still very accurate, hammered or hammerless, manageable, & comfortable for small paws. They have an insane following, too: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314422

Here's some info. in a slightly more manageable form: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281178

Here's a good price on one: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/26498

And here it is with the Crimson Trace grips (HIGHLY recommended!): http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/26376

Now if you'd like, I'm sure Taurus & Charter Arms make knock-offs, but then you get into the whole brand-name pissin' matches. If it saves you some $, & you're comfortable with another brand, then go for it. FWIW, I've been very happy with my S&W.

Put one in a Robert Mika pocket holster, & don't look back.

FC
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hillbilly archer

Hi all. I am looking for a revolver for my wife for personal protection/shooting some on the weekends. We are going to get our CCW permits together soon. I will need to get her something small, short barrell. I know .357 and .38 are both real popular, but she shot a ruger .357 and it was a little much for her as she is pretty small. She has also shot my .38 revolver and my .22 mag revolver and she liked the .22 because of the low recoil but it would be marginal at best is she ever needed it.

I have looked at several revolvers in the book at my local dealer but there aren't many places here that carry more than 1 or 2 revolvers.

Any recommendations on caliber and brand or model. I've always liked the S & W and Colt revolvers but the colt's will probably be outside of our price range.

Thanks.
I would prefer the .22 Mag. over a STANDARD load in .38 Special. But if you used a +P in the .38, it would be too much lke a .357! Short barrels make all hot revolver cartridges pretty anemic! You might consider a small .44 Special-like the Charter Arms version. There are some good defensive loads available for that round. Yet again, any short barrel is giving up alot, in addition to the fact that a short sight radius makes hitting anything a real challenge!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Get her a Desert Eagle 44 Auto Mag, LOL, just kidding!!!!. I got my wife a Charter Arms Undercover.38spl. For practice she uses regular 125gr.38spl for the light recoil "keeps up confidence", just befor she ends a session she loads up a couple of +P rounds and shoots them for a reality check of the difference in recoil!, she carries with the 125gr +P loads. Charter Arms has come a long way with their quality, her pistol has around 500 rounds through it and its just as tight as when she got it!, they are a good alternative to a Smith&Wesson when money is a concern!.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM

I don't know about the CCW laws where you are but here a .22 isn't an option. I don't think you can beat a Lady Smith in 38 Special. Beautiful little guns that should fit the feminine hand perfectly. Let her shoot wadcutters. They won't have much recoil. This may not be the greatest personal defense ammon on the market but it will dang sure discourage 95% of all the bad guys out there. If you read the accounts of people who had to pull their guns, most of the bad guys run at the sight of an armed citizen. For those who don't flee, even a lowly wad cutter will sure cause you to change your mind in a hurry.

Then when she thinks nothing of shooting those, you can work up to other things. Mostly STAY with your idea of a revolver for her. Do not get her an automatic.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still think you need to at least check out the .327 magnum with almost the energy of a .357 with less recoil than a .38 special+p.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 PM

Handgun for WIFE???

I'lltrade. What caliber?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM

I was looking at a taurus in 32 for my wife.

Then I came across a S&W Sigma 9mm cheap. I decided to buy it and if the wife didn't like it I would trade or keep for myself.

My wife really liked it. The trigger is quite heavy. But my wife said that it made her more confident that she wouldn't have an accidental discharge. Go figure. She says the recoil isn't a problem.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Smith & Wesson 60LS Revolver Lady Smith would be a good choice. Go to: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&a mp;productId=14753&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need advise- handgun for wife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.