Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ffl question >

ffl question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ffl question

Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM

Default ffl question

I am interested in getting an ffl. I am 18 years old and am curious about how to apply, how much, where, age requirements,etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ffl question

Go to www.ATF.gov Good luck.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

prob have to be 21 since pistol laws.....21 for handguns, 18 for long arms. otherwise its not hard to do.....a fee annually I believe, though less youre buying/selling guns I think there's not much of a reason to have a ffl, less you just really want one, not sure if that allows you to own full autos.....?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM

Ok thanks but could you give me more direction on where exactly to go because im kinda in the dark on this.thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

ATF will approve the application if the applicant:

Is 21 years of age or older;

Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;

Has not willfully violated the GCA or its regulations;

Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;

Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and

The applicant certifies that:

[ol]the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law in the place where the licensed premises is located;

within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

the business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met;

the applicant has sent or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises is located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for a license; and

secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees (“secure gun storage or safety device” is defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(34)). [/ol][/ul][/ul]
[18 U.S.C. 923(d)(1), 27 CFR 478.47(b)]

(C2) How does one get a license? [Back]

Submit ATF Form 7, Application for License, or ATF Form 7CR, Application for License (Collector of Curios or Relics), with the appropriate fee in accordance with the instructions on the form to ATF. These forms may be obtained from the Federal Firearms Licensing Center or your local ATF office.
[18 U.S.C. 923, 27 CFR 478.44 and 478.45]

Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

prob have to be 21 since pistol laws.....21 for handguns, 18 for long arms. otherwise its not hard to do.....a fee annually I believe, though less youre buying/selling guns I think there's not much of a reason to have a ffl, less you just really want one, not sure if that allows you to own full autos.....?

Not even close: It is acctually a fairly involved process...I'd say its easier to join the Marines than get an FFL. The big point of contention on FFLs is that now, although it didn't use to be this way, you must have a brick and mortar location and conduct business with firearms. Also must have a business liscense with your local government. That the Reader's Digest version of what BB put up.

Long and short of it is that it will cost you a heck of a lot more than you were planning on spending. I've heard that it can infact be done for under $10K start-up, but closer to $100K is more like it. Its no longer practical or feasable unless you are planning on opening your own shop.

There are different levels of FFLs however. You can infact, once you hit 21, get a Curio and Relic (C&R) liscense. I forget what the fee runs but its something like $50-100 if I recall. There is a master list of firearms that qualify as C&R guns.... most of them older firearms. The full auto stuff is Class 3... thats a whole different can of worms I'm not going to open. Thats some serious $$$.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The days of the kitchen table gun delaer are all but over. All applications now require an actual storefornt pretty much and with all the state permits, it's a big investment. It's not a business one becomes wealthy doing and you really need to know not only the firearms side but have a very good understanding of the business side as well. It's not just something one gets to save a few dollars on thier own purchases which is what many hope for.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 PM

Just received my ffl last year and had no problem getting it. I didn't think it was really that bad at all. I run my shop out of my house and still didn't have any problems getting it. I did give them several good reason as to why I wanted to have the shop at home. I also had all local business licenses before applying and included them in with my application.
Yes, they are getting pickier about issuing these, but not as bad as people are making it out. 15-20 years ago people would get a ffl just to save money on guns or were selling at gun shows only. If that's what you are thinking, you won't get one. I didn't spend very much on getting my ffl it's self. On top of the ffl, I had to get insurance, remodel my basement (did most of it myself), two new safes, and updated security system. All together I spent about 12,000 but could have done it for less if I wanted to, as a lot of what I spent was extras.
A few things to keep in mind. Most shops are lucky to get 7% on new guns these days and a lot are around 4-5%, not much markup at all. I specialize in upper end guns and by no way the cheapest around (Hell, I won't even open the safe for 4%). I do well for several reasons but remember, It's just as important to sell yourself to your customers as your guns. If you can do that, you'll do well. Good luck!

And you have to be 21 for the FFL!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 AM

There are different levels of FFLs however. You can infact, once you hit 21, get a Curio and Relic (C&R) liscense. I forget what the fee runs but its something like $50-100 if I recall. There is a master list of firearms that qualify as C&R guns.
An 03 FFL (C&R) costs $30, and lasts 3 years. All you do is get the paperwork from the BATFE, fill it out, send a copy to your chief law enforcement official, and send in the copy with your money to the BATFE and wait. It is usually returned within 90 days. And a C&R is any gun older than 50 years (relic), or any gun deemed by the ATF to get most of it's value from collectability (curio). They send you a master list that has all curios approved listed. As long as you are 21, can legally buy a gun, and it is legal where you live, they are easy to get. I have had mine for a couple years now. You also get dealer pricing through Midway, Brownells, and a couple other companies. Those discounts alone can pay for the FFL in short order.