HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ffl question
Thread: ffl question
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ffl question

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

prob have to be 21 since pistol laws.....21 for handguns, 18 for long arms. otherwise its not hard to do.....a fee annually I believe, though less youre buying/selling guns I think there's not much of a reason to have a ffl, less you just really want one, not sure if that allows you to own full autos.....?

Not even close: It is acctually a fairly involved process...I'd say its easier to join the Marines than get an FFL. The big point of contention on FFLs is that now, although it didn't use to be this way, you must have a brick and mortar location and conduct business with firearms. Also must have a business liscense with your local government. That the Reader's Digest version of what BB put up.

Long and short of it is that it will cost you a heck of a lot more than you were planning on spending. I've heard that it can infact be done for under $10K start-up, but closer to $100K is more like it. Its no longer practical or feasable unless you are planning on opening your own shop.

There are different levels of FFLs however. You can infact, once you hit 21, get a Curio and Relic (C&R) liscense. I forget what the fee runs but its something like $50-100 if I recall. There is a master list of firearms that qualify as C&R guns.... most of them older firearms. The full auto stuff is Class 3... thats a whole different can of worms I'm not going to open. Thats some serious $$$.